Manta GT/E powered Chevette.

Jmekerr

Evening all.

Clue's in the title, I have just bought a 1984 Chevette estate. It is powered by the Manta GTE 2.0 CiH engine.

I am going to be spending a bit of time lurking the forum as I have a few running issues.

Any literature etc. regarding the engine you guys think would be worth looking at then all will be appreciated. 

I am unable to upload a pic as on phone at the minute. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Cheers Jamie

17 minutes ago, TheRealExile said:

Hi Jamie,

Welcome, Is that the red one that had been on Ebay? or is this a different motor?

Hi TRE,

It most definitely is. Some kind of cold start issue, have had a bit of a play and a clean of the dizzy and spark plugs has helped considerably but it is still there.

Other than that, happy with the purchase. Quite like that it hasn't had the obligatory XE conversion, although wouldn't put that idea out just yet. 8)

Cheers Jamie

This is where I hold my hands up and say I don't know a massive amount about a car's mechanics and this project is hopefully going to address that.

I haven't any pics at the moment although I have found one on google 

if the auto-choke is the device at the beginning of the injector rail and straight after the filter hose, then yes it does! What is the fix with this?

Also to the right of this device is a brown plug with 2 spade type connectors going in to the inlet. The plug has broken down and a bit is missing so i will have to repair this also.

Cheers TRE.

jamie

1 minute ago, Jmekerr said:

This is where I hold my hands up and say I don't know a massive amount about a car's mechanics and this project is hopefully going to address that.

I haven't any pics at the moment although I have found one on google 

if the auto-choke is the device at the beginning of the injector rail and straight after the filter hose, then yes it does! What is the fix with this?

Also to the right of this device is a brown plug with 2 spade type connectors going in to the inlet. The plug has broken down and a bit is missing so i will have to repair this also.

Cheers TRE.

jamie

Just checked and the cut and paste of the google photo hasn't worked!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry can't help with the fault but there is a Manta Haynes manual online in PDF, if that helps.

I had been looking at the nice Chevette on eBay from a distance (window shopping) and it defo looked appealing.

22 hours ago, Jmekerr said:

First Hi JmeKerr, welcome to our world, though you havn't got a Manta your very welcome here, all of us appreciate other Opels & Vauxhalls (many of us have various other models from the GM range)

If your conversion has used all the Manta GTE bits (there are many generations of Bosch jetronic injection on other Opels & Vauxhalls) then your choke is the Blue injector at the back of the plenum, pumps in extra fuel when the engine cold, the injection system knows when the engine is cold by reading a sensor in the top of the thermostat housing, this is your brown plug (think i have got this the right way round, anyway it goes on vertically ).

Just beside this is a blue plug (again could have mixed the two colours up !) that goes on horizontally to the air bypass valve, (this has a rubber pipe coming from both sides) this opperates when the engine is cold and sometimes gets 'gummed up' with residue, a friend always cured his bypass value sticking trouble by taking it off, plugging one pipe opening, standing it on it's end and filling it overnight with WD40 !!

A Manta GTE engine Chevette is not so 'out there' as many may think, the Opel equivalent, The Kadette C did have a model in it's range with the same fuel injected engine as the Manta GTE, The Kadette C GTE, many years ago my sister had a Chevette hatch and i alway thought it was a little underpowered, so the Estate when loaded must have struggled, so putting the 1.6L or 2.0L Manta engine particulary in injected form is perhaps what Vauxhall should have done, but at the time Vauxhall were still trying to be different to Opel hence the Chevette had a 1256cc Vauxhall engine and the Kadette C had a 1196cc Opel engine, to glance at them they look like the same engine !!

Evening all.

Thanks Robah and Mantaman for the warm welcomes.

Robah, thank you also for the PDF link. It has already come in handy.

Mantaman, I was in the garage again tonight after a couple of nights off. I had been gathering some ignition bits in a hope that my problems were an easy fix.

Sadly, whilst there was definitely an improvement in the running of the engine. On the first turn of the key it showed reluctance and eventually cut out. I tried again whilst giving it a bit of throttle and it started but didn't liked to be revved.

Everytime it revved and came back down it just stalled. I had read up that the brown sensor on top of the thermostat housing can play up and mess up with cold starts etc so I unplugged it and shorted the connector. Car started 1st time with no throttle and loved to be revved.

I took out the shorting links and tried to start and it was utter garbage almost instantly. Definitely think the sensor is knackered. So just need to find out what the bame of it is so I can order another.

Cheers again for your input guys.

Jamie

• Like 1