Fuel sending unit options?

Grant

Hi guys, thanks to other posts on this site I've been able to figure out that my sons' 74 Manta broken fuel gauge was in fact a broken sending unit.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I took it apart and looked at the connection and did some testing and from what I can tell the sending wire isn't connected to the resistor. There's just a nub. So, near as I can figure I need to hook a wire to it but I'm dubious of my ability to make it last since the "nub" is very short. 

I haven't been able to find a replacement here in the US so I was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions. I could try my luck w/ a universal one or try repairing this one.

Thanks to anybody that reads this and to anybody to has ever posted to help someone else. I usually end up lurking on forums because somebody else has answered and I don't need to post. If this is answered already somewhere else on the site I apologize.

I would try new! Sorry, im big into repairing, and saving parts if,  but 40 plus yr old electronics have lived enough! You could also scavange for something similar, maybe bmw? As long as the travel for the arm is the same, and then its a matter of calibrating the new made to fit part.

Im sure dr.manta.de would have these manta a senders new!

I bought a new one for my 1975 Manta A in August from Gruber's Blitzschmiede in Gemany - a genuie nos Opel part: part number 1254050.  It wasn't cheap at 193 euros but the fuel guage now works perfectly.  The rubbing block on the original guage was worn away - not surprising it wasn't working.  If you use your car properly, running out of fuel in the wrong place could cost you that much or more!

That's my Dad's advice to buy new. I just hadn't been able to source one here in the USA but I'll check out those suggestions. My son will just have to learn to figure out how full his tank is by miles he puts on it until then.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the friendly responses.

8 hours ago, Grant said:

That's my Dad's advice to buy new. I just hadn't been able to source one here in the USA but I'll check out those suggestions. My son will just have to learn to figure out how full his tank is by miles he puts on it until then.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the friendly responses.

😎 the old school way 😁

• Haha 1