1971 1.9 A Series restoration help

Pyzartyst

Hello All,

I have picked myself up a long term project A series - some of you may have seen the yellow 1971 1.9 S that was on Facebook recently!

My plan is to take my time, do as much as I can myself and enjoy the process. Before I start the stripdown I was going to see how easily (ha ha ha) I can source parts in the UK. I have sourced some parts so far but it will need so much to put it right. I know I can find the parts for sale on German Ebay so I am not too worried about sourcing them if searching in the UK fails!

At the moment I am looking for:

Front wings - passenger side for certain

Nose panel - upper for certain and lower

Bonnet - mine is separated - can be fixed obviously if I cant find a decent one but it will be tons of work

Boot floor panel including the spare wheel well

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

Regards

Stu

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

Hey Stu

Welcome to the club and good to see another A series being brought back to life 🙂

Im not sure on panels in the UK, someone on here might know a source or have some decent second hand panels they can help you with.

Anything from Germany these days is expensive.

If you are looking for parts links for other things other than panels i have some of the better ones on my A series blog.

https://www.theopelproject.com/

She looks in reasonable shape, what's up with the wing that is on there? might be easier to repair any of the panels if they are not too far gone.

Andy

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 611 said:

Hey Stu

Welcome to the club and good to see another A series being brought back to life 🙂

Im not sure on panels in the UK, someone on here might know a source or have some decent second hand panels they can help you with.

Anything from Germany these days is expensive.

If you are looking for parts links for other things other than panels i have some of the better ones on my A series blog.

https://www.theopelproject.com/

She looks in reasonable shape, what's up with the wing that is on there? might be easier to repair any of the panels if they are not too far gone.

Andy

Hello Andy

Thank you for the link - some great images on there - I hope I make half as good a job as you have!

The front passengers wing is shot to be honest - drivers is savable but this is the issue I have on the N/S.... it has seen better days. All the bubbles on the lower front can be poked through with a finger

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Rear wheel arches are bubbled, there is some filler on the sides and the floor will need patched but the base is reasonable I think. Inner wings need a small patch but otherwise look ok

Hi Stu

I see what you mean. I think you can still get arch repair panels. The boot floor would be best to see if anyone is breaking an A series as usually the boot floor is ok. Im sure ive see the boot well remade on one of the German sites.

Best to place a wanted advert for the wing or maybe see what x-pat mike on here is doing as he has an A with all good panels and is in Canada and was deciding if it was worth shipping the bits back here of scrapping it. He has a build thread on here so you can see the car.

Front nose and valance are a bit harder but again stick a wanted advert up. Unfortunately i sold all my spare panels years ago and only have odd bits left.

This might help you 

Im on the last stage with mine now with the paint, so almost at the end of a long road!

If you need any help just should as i have fix, changed, refurbed most bits on mine so should be able to point you to the best options.

What plans do you have for her?

Also pop a build thread on here so we can all see your progress and you will get more help that way as well.

Andy

Edited by 611
  • Thanks 1