oil pump

manta81

would any one had in the past issues where there oil pump caused high oil pressure  by the older plastic type insert stiking?  i have reason to believe  that they can  can see any other reason  for it.im going to do some investigation and  make some slight alterations to mine so i can still use it without  changing the design , adjustable im thinking. the spring could have become stiff  over years , but has anyone bought and fitted the new type ive seen?

• Like 1

On,y when fitting the cover in the wrong orientation 😬

Springs go weak over time and a highly lubed part like the bypass is not likely to seize up, unless left for an extremely long time or really carbonised oil that has never been changed.

usually it would be leaking bypass leaking giving a low pressure 

my car gets used, serviced, and its been  well maintained , never had a problem before and  everything is as it should be inside even no wear, but im convinced its the spring but im making a new insert valve out of metal stainless just to test it.  but any imput is helpfull if someone has had issues with high oil pressure , low is normal when worn out parts , high is block or valve not opening 

i have used a suitable sized ball bearing in the past as the nylon ones can leak when they get marked but unless the cover has been fitted wrong as mentioned or the spring sticking theres no reason why you would get too high a pressure.

with 20w50 you shouldget good pressure at idle when warm(1-3 bar on a good engine) and lower if using w40 or thinner ?. but at idle the pressure valve isnt doing anything.the spring usually weakens and can end up giving you a maximium pressure of 3 bar ( or less of very weak or broken) but ive never heard of one getting stuck and going too high. anything is possible thou,

mine sits at 2 at idle when warm and will rev to 5 when hot .

whats yours showing ?

ps. bypass is easy to check. just remove filter and make sure it will open ok.