Kick down cable

green diamond

It wont let me post in the wanted section but I do have the origional GM manufacturing drawing for the cable 9290769 with all dimensions etc, its in microfiche format so will need scanning to a digital file which I can get done but costs £18.00 a drawing

Out of interest when Vauxhalls Heritage centre closed we saved all the microfiched parts drawings 

• Like 3

Speaking as a club member, when it comes to original manufacturer design documents, I would think that it's definitely of interest to digitise as much as possible to make it available before it gets consigned to an attic, bin, collectors archive never to be seen again.

If it's the post I'm thinking of, the chap was able to use his current cable as a basis to copy but that assumes your part is original and in good condition. Having the original drawings makes it so much easier to engage companies to commit to supplying parts prospectively.

On digitisation, I appreciate at £18 a pop it could get expensive very quickly. Is it microfiche sheet or film? I have a fairly cheap film negative scanner that has produced suitable results with negatives of family photos.

If you have any more information about what you have available, it's probably worth contacting the committee members or just posting here and we'll tag them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The cost for scanning the card includes the £5.40 tracked post both ways so it does get a bit cheaper for quantities, they arent just a drawing "with a few dimensions" they are the proper technical drawing that Vauxhall/Opel/Bedford would send to the manufacturers with material specs and testing procedures

As a guide there are about 380,000 drawings in about 370 draws from the 1950s up to 2000ish, there wont be every part but you never know, it cost a lot of money to save them and I now have to store them, they arent ever going to make money but they are saved and available

To clear things up yes im a business and yes along with the spares side its my only income so its got to earn a living, sorry if thats a problem to some!

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification. It certainly sounds like very useful stuff that you've saved. 

I appreciate you're running it as a business and you have to store them. Bulk ordering would be preferable so it would be good to know the scale of Drawings you have. Across OMOC and the Cavalier and Chevette club there might be appetite/funds to do it. 

Or would you be willing to lend at a fee if we can sort our own digitisation as a club?

Due to the wider range of models covered perhaps it's also of interest to the VBOA (Vauxhall Bedford Opel Association), and it's other affiliated clubs. If you ever look to get rid of them, please do contact us and/or the VBOA in the first instance so they're stored as centrally as possible.

On 27/07/2023 at 15:49, green diamond said:

The cost for scanning the card includes the £5.40 tracked post both ways so it does get a bit cheaper for quantities, they arent just a drawing "with a few dimensions" they are the proper technical drawing that Vauxhall/Opel/Bedford would send to the manufacturers with material specs and testing procedures

As a guide there are about 380,000 drawings in about 370 draws from the 1950s up to 2000ish, there wont be every part but you never know, it cost a lot of money to save them and I now have to store them, they arent ever going to make money but they are saved and available

To clear things up yes im a business and yes along with the spares side its my only income so its got to earn a living, sorry if thats a problem to some!

Hi there I'm on both the committee for the omoc and the vboa would definitely be worth chat.

Re manufacturing of parts to help these cars going is essential and a massive part of why owners clubs exist.

• Thanks 1