manta A screens

Greg w

I’m refitting my front and rear screens, do they need any sealer around the glass or where the rubber seal sits in the body aperture?

i don’t want to if not necessary but i presume clear silicone would do if its needed 

As Paul said. No need to add any around where the rubber goes onto the screen but i would add some round the outside outer lip after installing.

It might be fine without out but if not it will probably be a while before you realise its leaking and then its hard to trace where its coming in.

I found mine leaked in the bottom corners on front and back before and this time after painting the car i made sure i sealed all around after fitting both screen just to be on the safe side.

Don't use silicon, use this: https://midlandsealants.com/product/arbomast-autograde/

Andy

yes that’s similar to what i’ve put around all the side window trims. i’ve still got a tube.

thanks,

just curious why not silicone as i remember back in the day that is what was sold as windscreen leak stop for this kind of seal.

I don't know what silicone would be used for nowadays. 

As above non setting windscreen sealer. As the window and seal move and eventually settles, non setting allows for that. And allows for window to be removed. And cleaned, I've sealant remover😉

There are loads of types of sealant, from car body work, tigerseal, brushable bodysealant, non setting sealant. 

Household sealants, worktops, windows, basins, sinks, etc. 

If you are looking sealant, try typing what you are using it for, eg. Windscreen sealant 

The traditional silicone, would be classed as a quick fix nowadays. I never use it, as it dries and normally only lasts a few months if lucky. Horrible stuff. 

Edited by ®evo03

3 hours ago, Greg w said:

yes that’s similar to what i’ve put around all the side window trims. i’ve still got a tube.

thanks,

just curious why not silicone as i remember back in the day that is what was sold as windscreen leak stop for this kind of seal.

The silicon would stick nicely but im nut sure over time how it would cope with the movement as @evo03 said. The non setting stuff will work much better with movement from hot and cold etc.. Its a bit like sealer they use on roofing that is non setting so it can flex with the movement and not lift and leet water under. And some cheap silicon is not that flexible.