New everyday car

1900SR

Hmmmm I need some advice ....

I've been feeling that since my exclusive has been off the road, my everyday car wasn't practical enough.....It had more capacity than my manta, it was more economical, it was smoother, the brakes worked, it took myself, the misses and the two kids comfortably, all our luggage, pushchairs etc etc in it with ease. Oh and I felt completely ORDINARY driving it.

Here it is...

Dscf3677a.jpg

So what did I do. I decided I needed a more practical car so I sold it to a mate at work for the same price I just bought this one for...

Dscf3681a.jpg

[:D][:D][:D]

Happy again!! Who gives a stuff about practicality it feels good to drive again [8D] Roll on summer

My advice, you want to swap that awful GTE hatch for something good and cheap to run. Maybe something like a Peugeot 106 Diesel.

I've just had a thought, I've got a 1998 106 Diesel, top spec model. As you're a club member I'll let you swap [;)]

Seriously, if that Mantas half as good as it looks, an effective straight swap for your P plated Mundaneo looks like a great deal to me, nice one!

omoc 5660,Cambridge & The Fens Area Rep.

"He who fights and runs away, will live to be thrashed on another day"

Theres some small scabs on the passenger door, but she's very solid with 60k miles and all the old history. The only downer is it looks like someone tried cleaning the side skirts and rear spoiler with a scouring pad at some point but I can live with that for now.. The interior looks like new though and the engine is strong.

Lots of smiles for the miles [:D]

"...I sold it to a mate at work for the same price I just bought this one for..."

You mean you bought THAT Manta for 50p?[:0][:o)][:D]

That looks a great car Roy. Drown it in Dynax and get some wheelarch liners and it should last you for years.

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log into this site from the Home page folks. It helps to keep it as the first Manta site listed on Google.

quote:Originally posted by Quarter-Life-Crisis

GT/E hatch, wouldn't catch me in one![:)][:D]

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

yeah shame it's not a coupe eh ? [:P]

OMOC 5885

1800 Hatch Daily Driver

GTE Exclusive Coupe SORN'd

They are both Hella units but one has a bullet hole through it (you know what I mean), I know somewhere (god knows where) I've got a new original pair as fitted to Mantas so I'll be swapping them out. Presumably being Hella they are still available?

As this is now my everyday car I want to fix a few things but I have to resist the temptation to go silly.

I've got to replace the sunroof seal, I;ve got a sample from a trimming company but I can't find the original to compare it to[:I]

The headlights are a bit dull and I do have a spare set of exclusive ones along with an exclusive steering wheel. And I was considering putting the 15" 5 spokes on it off my other manta but I'm really torn as the car is so original..

What do other people think? It would look and drive better with the lights, steering wheel and alloys but would be less original? I suppose it is all reversible [?]

I won a new old stock silver hatch rear spoiler on ebay for a tenner [:D] So thats going on when it arrives...

Thats one tidy hatch roy.its always good to see another hatch.

I always think the twin lights look really good on the manta and you cant beat a set of 15`s.

As you say you can always take it all back off!

ITS SIDE WAYS OR NO WAYS

Steve, when I find the original fogs I'll check them for a part number, Mantadoc, no dimples I'm afraid so these have been retrofitted. Does that mean I can't stick it in Original at Billing?!?[:0]

My first GTE had fogs from new and I remember the apertures where very neatly done. I guess they must have been stamped in the factory?

By the way does anyone have a spare headlight wiper blade? The drivers one is floppy and busted.

By the way, thanks for all the great comments about the car [:D]

Mine was pretty original when i got it, but the more you look and think about it, the harder it is to keep original. All the stuff i've changed on mine can easily be put back if necessary, i raided mods and better spec pieces and it keeps me happy and interested in the car.

Keep me informed about the sunroof seel could you please, im pretty desperate for one.

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

I know what you mean about the little upgrades, its difficult when I have the parts staring at me!

I'm going to order the sunroof seal today, the sample I got looks the same as the manta one except the actual seal part. How can I explain this? er well the part that clips to the sunroof is correct and then there is a tubular felt covered rubber seal the same as the manta, the difference being the manta has a thick rubber insert inside the tube wheres as the new one is hollow making the tube softer. I need to fit it to make sure it seals all the way round OK. Mind you the current one is non existant so it can't be worse!

I'll keep you informed.

Mk2 VW Golf sunroof seal does fit the manta.

I got this sample from a breakers yard earlier today. I cant be sure of the length but it looks close. Below is a picture of the golf sunroof seal, i tried it on my sunroof and it fits a treat.

Also a really subtle mod that nobody notices is vecra twin washer jets fit a treat in the bonnet and you get 4 squirts instead of two.

PIC_0693.jpg

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

Sorry for the late reply Roy, been really busy and the rain hasn't helped. VW mk2 Golf sunroof seal is pretty much on the money i recon, have a look at the pictures. Excuse my hands id just put in two new anti-roll bar drop link pins.[8D]

The short piece is a golf mk2 section i just cut off a breaker car to test fit, the piece i have is a bit crusty on the top, but it gives you an idea.

PIC_0706.jpg

PIC_0704.jpg

PIC_0703.jpg

Only really available from VW and even then its a order in part £37 plus vat. Pretty rare and cant seem to find anyone else that does it. Hoping maybe a trader will have a big roll of it at a car show on trade stand. If you have any luck can you let me know.

Many Thanks

gte3-1.jpgPIC_0184-1.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just to make him feel even worse (and so I can dish out suitable punishment!) I just sold this lovely original 60k mile GTE to Phil Warren so that I could concentrate on the blue B coupe.

2 HOURS LATER PHIL PHONES ME TO SAY HE SLID IT SIDEWAYS INTO A LAMP POST!!

BASK IN THE GLORY PHIL--- YOU'RE A PLANK!!!

[B)][}:)]

• 2 weeks later...