First 2.0 Twincam Engine

ant0ny

I am trying to find out when the first Twin Cam 2.0 16V engine was produced for Vauxhall/Opel cars.

I believe the Manta GT/E had a twincam engine in 1982... is this correct?

Is this engine close to or the same as the C20XE engines that showed up in the Calibra?

Antony

I am trying to find out when the first Twin Cam 2.0 16V engine was produced for Vauxhall/Opel cars.

I believe the Manta GT/E had a twincam engine in 1982... is this correct?

Is this engine close to or the same as the C20XE engines that showed up in the Calibra?

Antony

I don't think the GTE ever came with anything other than a CiH engine..... Am I wrong?

Sorry I could be very wrong... I thought I read this somewhere... and now I can't find the source. This is why I thought I would come to a group of people who knew something of this cars heritage.

I am trying to find an Opel/Vauxhall car that had a 2.0 16V engine before 1986. These could be for racing and limited production and possibly has homologation with the FIA. Of any of these cars if I could find one that was close to the C20XE that would be even better... but would assume most engines built for these cars where done by Cosworth like the XE.

Sorry I could be very wrong... I thought I read this somewhere... and now I can't find the source. This is why I thought I would come to a group of people who knew something of this cars heritage.

I am trying to find an Opel/Vauxhall car that had a 2.0 16V engine before 1986. These could be for racing and limited production and possibly has homologation with the FIA. Of any of these cars if I could find one that was close to the C20XE that would be even better... but would assume most engines built for these cars where done by Cosworth like the XE.

The only 16 valve engined manta that came as standard, as far as i know, was the manta 400. But this car had a 2.4L 16 valve engine and it was based on the 2.0E CIH engine from the earlier cars.

The 1.8 8 valve engines, from later cars, are the same family as the C20XE but i have never heard of any special builds etc that came with the C20XE from the dealer.

Its still a good article that Clive. :thumbup Rember reading it a while ago when it was put up.

I wonder if this is the article you were refering too antony as it does say in there that irmscher put one in a Manta for their catologue.

But i don't think any ever made onto the roads but i think some did get used for motor sport.

Its still a good article that Clive. :thumbup Rember reading it a while ago when it was put up.

I wonder if this is the article you were refering too antony as it does say in there that irmscher put one in a Manta for their catologue.

But i don't think any ever made onto the roads but i think some did get used for motor sport.

Yes I think this was the same or similar info... the site is different but I suspect someone just pulled this info and displayed it with other content because it also talked about the Astra S4 and the Chevette.

Thanks very much opel2000 for the link. This is a good start... at least I know they did exist prior to 1986.

Antony

Is anyone here involved in Classic Rally in the UK or Europe in gerneral?

In Australia we have Historic Rally and of late we have a Classic Rally class... this has now been restructured and I think I am about to be shafted after building a car to a regulation that is now changed.

We had a class which was cars upto 1986 which I built the Kadett off the Opel Works spec to run the 1.8i single cam engine. Then they wipped that class altogether and have left it even more up in the air but they state I can now run a replacement engine as long as it existed in a car from the same family prior to 1986. They havn't stated yet if I can or not go from one cam to twin cam yet... it's a real mess.

So I am trying to find to 2 things. If I can find an engine that I can submit as being a replacement engine that is twin cam and what the rest of the world is doing in the "Classic Rally" scene.

Antony

The one used in the HS/HSR chevettes was a twin cam based/built originally by Lotus. Then Vauxhall took over and put in a diffeent twin cam head (will they ever learn !!!),so then the odd problem started occuring. :mellow:

Try one of those, they are two litre ones, and you might just have a few Lotus Esprites and the like kicking about over there ! :thumbup