Soon To Be An A Series Owner

hi guys and gals, new to the manta got hold of an A series 73 registtered manta last week, still trying to organise the transport as its a non runner unsurprisingly, it is going to be a resto project with a few modern tweeks. im a nova man for the last 10 years, but venturing furthering afield as im geting a little more mature still a boy at 26 really!

anyway here she is, hopefully in my mates garage by next weekend ready for work plan etc

DSC00283.jpg?t=1247693230

I look forward to seeing this progress. I hope you keep the colour scheme as the black bonnet and those stripes are rare these days.

well it will probably going to white mas im not overly keen on the paint, i like the stripes though and the satin bonnet

Hi Novashed, welcome to our 'Manta mad' world

Not far down the road from you are a few other Manta Nuts in and around Milton Keynes, we'll have to meet sometime.

yeah definately! cant wait to get cracking on the A now, got the workshop to clear still and the old project nova trackcar shell still to get rid of then repair the roof of the workshop as it leaks like a sieve!!

then its stripdown time and get the shell on a spit and sort the tinworm, alreayd ordered new chassis rails and sill from ebay.de for a good price, ay purchase some jacking points but im feeling just using angle iron for the sake of originality, who cares!

then engine options, im so swayed to go for somehting diffrent, really feeling saab powerplant

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the project, will be interesting to see it when you have it stripped down to a bare shell, they tend to suffer from the dreaded tin worm. I'd use proper jacking points if you can get them, bits of steel here and there kinda stick out a bit when you have the car finsihed. Well worth going the extra mile with the A series as they are beautiful car when finished smile.gif but there again I'm biased as I have restored a few lol.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the project, will be interesting to see it when you have it stripped down to a bare shell, they tend to suffer from the dreaded tin worm. I'd use proper jacking points if you can get them, bits of steel here and there kinda stick out a bit when you have the car finsihed. Well worth going the extra mile with the A series as they are beautiful car when finished smile.gif but there again I'm biased as I have restored a few lol.

thank you,

i know what your saying, im struggling to find any jacking points, any pointers?? nothing on german ebay i can find, and im not paying silly money for them, this car will be no trailer queen or wrapped in cotton wool!

no work today as the old boy had to have an operation so amongst all sorts of jobs i decided to be a tart and make a new key for the A,

start with raw ally block and fashion opel lighting strike by hand and polish the nuts out of it......

DSC00300.jpg?t=1248904007

DSC00301.jpg?t=1248904050

DSC00302.jpg?t=1248904089

DSC00303.jpg?t=1248904128

DSC00305.jpg?t=1248905713

• 2 weeks later...

another purchase for the manta, not even started work on her yet! , need abit of work to resto them to former glory but nice and deep dish, 8" rears ansd 7" fronts, oh and will be changing the tyres for some moremanly none euro stretched type.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 255KB.rims.jpg

anychance admin could move this thread to the projects section? and rename it?

more updates,

picked up what i thought would be a manta gte 1.8 engine box and prop, but it turned out to be 20e lump with a getrag! bonus! with mounts and injection loom, is a good runner too, needs a good service and clean up but otherwise a bargain.

20e lump will go up for sale very soon, just needs an ECU, anyone know one going so i could make up a complete package.

also got hold of a big wing sump, not such a bargain but needed for the xe conversion that i MAY do, im still tempted via saab 2.3t route for something different as i have a volvo axle lined up and mate it to a omega r28 and risk it??

will get more pics as i go, really need to sort the workshop when i return from hols week monday.