Good Evening Folks

Insanity-74

Hiya all :thumbup

Always had a soft spot for Opel Mantas and can no longer find the excuses not to buy one so have come to the Owners club to find out what to look for and to do a bit of research.

Big fan of rallying so will have to go for the 400 body kit as well.....if anyone could suggest the best place to buy one (the body kit) it would be greatly apreciated. (unfortunately I cant afford a real 400 :( so it will have to be a replica)

Any advice on buying...what to look out for or if there is a buyers guide somewhere.

Looking forward to Manta ownership (It will be my first rear wheel drive car).:thumbup Just need to find a suitable one now.

Hello and welcome, for starters it would be well worth joining the club, for the advice etc you will no doubt need, it will be a £25 well spent, as for a bodykit there is a guy in the west midlands who makes the 400 kits from the ORIGINAL irmscher moulds, and for price and quality cannot be beaten, and you will at least get your £25 back if you buy the kit from this guy as when you mention my username there will be a discount on the price of the kit, so there is a saving for you right away and a years membership of the omoc should you buy the kit.

hi and a warm welcome to the forum and good luck in your search

just look out for rust,and have a read off project threads should give you a good idea :thumbup

as lepo5 says theres plenty off club members who go out off there way to sort deals out

Your first and most important part will be to find someone in your area who knows mantas inside out, many mantas look the part but underneath can be rust buckets, please dont jump in feet first as many will offer you something that looks reaonable but infact will are a money pit.

Kit wise there are 2 options, one as listed above and the other Rally tech which as far as i know are the only ones with a perfect bonnet, rutts on the forum Andy Rutter is the best person to contact re rally tech and their kits are second to none. Ive fitted a few of these to customers cars and wont use anything else.

Cheers folks, much appreciated. It looks like I will just have to be patient and make sure I get a good one although I`m not shy of doing a bit of fab work......frequently make one off car parts so looking forward to the challenge. I always seem to go for cars that are going to be awkward laugh.gif

Hi insanity-74

Some spot on replies up there to you.

But must comment on......... "Any advice on buying...what to look out for or if there is a buyers guide somewhere."

Just wish the people who control this website would actually put a few guides up for "Prospective Owners" as prospective owners are prospective Club Members.

Anybody simply needs to read the club constitution and then ask themselves if the club is doing it's job of "preserving and promoting the use of the marque"

Ok maybe a non-member "at the mo" but been a long standing club member back from 1992 or 1993

edit:- BTW insanity-74 I frequently make 1 off car parts too :thumbup

Edited by opel2000

just look out for rust

Having wasted most of the afternoon chasing holes in circles trying to patch my sill tosatify the MOT tester, I can vouch for this!

There is no buyers guide here as such, not sure why to be honest, Practical Classics had a Mk1 Cavalier buying guide recently, most of which is relevant to the Manta.

edit:- BTW insanity-74 I frequently make 1 off car parts too :thumbup

Excellent...probably alot better than me at it :)

Aluminium is my favoured medium, made a few radiators and a charge cooler for one of my cars, swirl pots etc, but my welding is terrible....imagine filling a blunderbus with weld and firing it at the workpiece from 100 yards so I have to get someone else to do it for me....the price mounts up...but recently I have been playing with fibreglass......its horrible stuff, very unfriendly and rough but its easyish to work with, you can make shapes/things that would be all but impossible to make out of metal, you just get sick of sanding sanding sanding, currently making a rally style airbox which is certainly a challenge. (not for a manta unfortunately)