Manta B Coupe Wanted

cobweb

Nice GT/J model up on ebay mate if any good to you. Worth a watch, and this age of B coupe would be the ones to look for if you don't want so much welding to do.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Opel-Manta-GT-J-Coupe-/190471608369?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2c58fe1831

You said any condition, it will need some work, but could make a nice car when done. Good luck with your search, and do let us know how you get on?

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

thanks, i will keep an eye on that one.

as far as rust is concerned, where are the main places they go? i dont mind a bit of welding but havent really got the time at the moment for a full restoration.

Sure other people can list more on the most common places they go, but worst areas for me that are on virtually every car I've ever had would be tops of wings, and swan necks on the chassis rails, right where the front wishbones bolt on!! That GT/J isn't a sunroof model, so you needn't worry about the roof going so bad.

Probably lots of other areas too, but the later cars from circa 83 onwards are probably worse for rusting maybe.

I don't claim to be the biggest expert on here, so I'll let someone else add to this.

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

If you are planning on building a 400 Rep, the aforementioned GT/j on Evil Bay would be ideal.

A pretty rare car, but also quite possibly the crappest and most unsought after model they put out, only ever seen one really nice example of one of these and that was Ian Goachers old green GT/J.

I'd keep my eyes on this Ebay item if you are after a good project car, good honest listing, and good project base.

Edited by opel2000

trouble is its a job to know how bad it actually is without seeing it, im a fair few miles from it to go and view before the auction ends.

ive allways liked them but never owned one so dont really know what to expect as far as the dreaded tin worn is concerned.

trouble is its a job to know how bad it actually is without seeing it, im a fair few miles from it to go and view before the auction ends.

ive allways liked them but never owned one so dont really know what to expect as far as the dreaded tin worn is concerned.

It's going to come down to how bad you want one mate. You've got to go from Dorset to Andover, quite a few miles but very near in the grand scheme of Manta things, and trust me, if you want a good Manta, you need to be prepared to travel. I drove with a trailer from Essex to the Welsh border to get mine, having seen only one dark photo of the car in the back of a garage!

Total outlay now of £2k, but I have a very clean & tidy original B series that I will not be parting with. Could have been a lot worse, and I'm glad I risked the trek.

If you think you want one now, and for a 400 project, you'll be lucky to find a more suitable base car that near and hopefully not too rotten. The roof and wheel arches look reasonable in the photos, can see the offside wing top has gone, as have possibly the sills near the B pillar, again common. He states the swan necks need attention, but if that's the worst of it, it's very salvagable I would say.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

Also remember if you are fitting a 400 kit you will be cutting out the rear arches and replacing the front wings!

If you want to see the where rust takes hold take a look at my b series project............nothings impossible!!!

• 4 weeks later...