Help Needed, Engine Stalls When Put Into Gear. (Auto)

ThePokerNut

Wayhoo ! I've just MOTed the Cav. But while driving back from the garage its started to run really rough. I pulled over, poped the bonnet and had a quick look.

Nothing noticeable so jumped back in and put it into drive and stalled ? ? ? Turned the key, fired up first time no problems, gave it a couple of "GOOD" revs to clear it and sounded fine.

Engenged drive and stalled again ! Managed to get it moving but now stalling every time i stop and try to hold it in gear.

Drove fine to the garage 8miles or so.Any ideas as where to start looking?

Chris

Wayhoo ! I've just MOTed the Cav. But while driving back from the garage its started to run really rough. I pulled over, poped the bonnet and had a quick look.

Nothing noticeable so jumped back in and put it into drive and stalled ? ? ? Turned the key, fired up first time no problems, gave it a couple of "GOOD" revs to clear it and sounded fine.

Engenged drive and stalled again ! Managed to get it moving but now stalling every time i stop and try to hold it in gear.

Drove fine to the garage 8miles or so.Any ideas as where to start looking?

Chris

I had that problem on a transit van, the early ones, in the 80s, and the cause of it stalling when put into drive, 1st or 2nd, was a faulty servo that was causing the brakes not releasing, thus causing the engine to stall when you engaged drive. I'm not saying that is the

fault, but worth a decko! what's the condition of the manifold/servo vac pipe, is it in good nick? Don' be offended when I say " have you checked automatic fluid level too!:thumbup

Edited by Julian

I had that problem on a transit van, the early ones, in the 80s, and the cause of it stalling when put into drive, 1st or 2nd, was a faulty servo that was causing the brakes not releasing, thus causing the engine to stall when you engaged drive. I'm not saying that is the

fault, but worth a decko! what's the condition of the manifold/servo vac pipe, is it in good nick? Don' be offended when I say " have you checked automatic fluid level too!:thumbup

Checked the servo pipe, no problems there. Oil level spot on in gearbox, but this was my first thought! lol

I haven't checked the vacuum pipe on the gearbox yet Gary, but will crawl under and check that out.

I had that problem on a transit van, the early ones, in the 80s, and the cause of it stalling when put into drive, 1st or 2nd, was a faulty servo that was causing the brakes not releasing, thus causing the engine to stall when you engaged drive.

Not likely as autos don't have a clutch it shouldn't stall regardless.

What spec is the car? Carb, injection? I'm not going to assume as so many are running injection or different combos.

my guess would `be...firstly............to make sure the engine itself is all ok.. with regard to all basic tuning issues etc so that the engine is running perfectly normal & at the correct idling speed with no rough running issues or faults. you mentioned about the car needing a rev to clear it so it suggests a fault somewhere. if the gearbox is working correctly then putting it into drive should only load it slightly. into creep mode. if it is stalling then its either a fault with the torque converter itself thou i doubt it. or maybee even a wire moving on a bad connection when the engine rocks as its put into gear. i had the same problem on my carlton & it turned out to be one of the wires on the starter motor terminal becoming loose in the lug. this` was on an injection car & it was the injection power feed cable. if yours is a non injection it could be the 6mm vehicle supply wire.(red)

hi chris.

chances are if youve had it in for test and it ran fine before, the tester has adjusted the co content to bring it within limits?

trouble is hes probly gave it a quick twist in the mixture screw and got a pass figure..but tuning a car can take more than that! now youve give it a run it may have settled too lean or rich and the idle speed may now be lower?

i would have the co and idle checked by the garage that tested it..hope this helps..steve