78 Coupe

78manta

hi guys well ive enjoyed my manta for the past 6 months and i think the time has come to start thinking about changing the engine in the old girl im thinking of converting to a 3.0 v6 from an omega and really was just looking for a bit of advice on the possible pit falls of such a conversion as i want to keep the car looking as standard as possible on the outside

Heyup mate,

Cool car, But why the v6 Omega ? I'm all for modernizing i;m doing it to 2 myself but to me it seems a long way round when a red top will give you all the thrills ( exept the noise ) for a lot less hassle and theres loads of info on here about the subject, Me i'm an Iron head through and through and after all you can only go as fast as the person in front and at todays fuel prices its about 30mph, good luck hope you decide wise ...........................:thumbup .

hi guys well ive enjoyed my manta for the past 6 months and i think the time has come to start thinking about changing the engine in the old girl im thinking of converting to a 3.0 v6 from an omega and really was just looking for a bit of advice on the possible pit falls of such a conversion as i want to keep the car looking as standard as possible on the outside

If you can drive it flat out round the Borders then yes,up the power. If not I'd budget for a set of shockies and keep trying :thumbup

J.

Well she's already been lowered on a set of spax shocks an springs and while she keeps up with modern traffic well enough at times she seems a little asthmatic I have thought of tuning the original 1.9 lump but I'm not sure if that would be enough and as for going down the redtop road that was my 1st thought but I like the idea of doin something a little different which brought me to the omega v6

Hello mate, I have a B coupe with a Redtop running on throttle bodies which i will get back soon.

I wanted power under the hood that can be easily tuned and can up the power later on.

am also going old school with the exterior, losing all the trim and so on. good luck with your project which ever route you go down, Adie thumbsup.gif

well having only owned the car 6 month and having next to no mechanical experience ive never had these checked mainly due to the fact the cars currently being used as a daily driver maybe this is down to a little naivety on my part as the car had sat for 3 year prior to me buying her and the previous owner did say she may need some adjustment im hoping to get her in2 my mates garage for a full service soon so will get those things checked and maybe invest in a decent airfilter but like i say in all other ways shes fine

well having only owned the car 6 month and having next to no mechanical experience ive never had these checked mainly due to the fact the cars currently being used as a daily driver maybe this is down to a little naivety on my part as the car had sat for 3 year prior to me buying her and the previous owner did say she may need some adjustment im hoping to get her in2 my mates garage for a full service soon so will get those things checked and maybe invest in a decent airfilter but like i say in all other ways shes fine

You've just answered your own question........

......poor old Manta. These cars need looking after. <_<

GET IT SERVICED.

J.

Very true I guess however I must say it was never my intention for things to happen this way when I bought the car the intention was to get the car up as near 2 perfect as possible enjoy her 4 a year or 2 then with a bit of cash saved up 2 restore her however due to my daily driver deciding to die on me my plans were forcefully changed an I had no option but 2 use the manta as my daily drive an she never put a foot wrong even during the worst of last years weather now with another new car on the way a mrk3 astra I can afford to give the old girl the time and love she deserves

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, give the old girl a full new set of ignition parts (rotor, cap, wires, sparkplugs etc). After that, i´d give the carburettor a good cleaning, and a new filter. Adjust everything (fuel ignition etc) and see where you are after that.

If you have limited or no experience in cars, don´t even consider doind a V6 build. Not even a redtop build. The easiest build you can do is probably a straight 6 3,0E goldtop from a Cartlon but thats about that. And that build will make the car very nose heavy and almost impossible to handle on track.

As i said, give your current engine a big makeover and it will run sweet. Also new oil and filter is a good idea.

When it is running nice, a good and cheap mod to your current engine will be a set of double weber or dellorto karburettors. Also a mild racing camshaft will be a nice addon and combined with the twin weber or dellorto conversion you could be looking at an additional 30bhp and a higher reving engine.thumbsup.gif

Not adding weight to either side of this conversation, but if you want to see how much work goes in to a V6 3.0 conversion, buy this months Total Vauxhall, there is one in there page 78. :thumbup

And he is one of the Scottish Clan

As people have said it depends on your experience as a mechanic and funds under the pillows.

IMO Try the simple things first to improve your cars performance and learn the basics of the running gear