Widebody V8 Manta

steel

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new 1/4 for this side i need one for the other side i decided to replace them as i do not want to repair them again i had fitted lower rear 1/4 repair panels and the sill area but i was not happy with it i want to keep it for a long time so i need to find a passenger 1/4 to fix the other side

cool :thumbup,, there was actually something strangely satisfying about cutting large chunks out of the car i just see a blank canvas now regards new floor chassis and bulkhead as opposed to patching here there and everywhere and trying to blend it in like mad to get it to look decent originality is not important to me a car that strong fast rot free and built to last is and is a car original once its had even 1 patch welded or panel changed :rolleyes:

Edited by steel

yes m8 your right enough,,would have welded it in its all cut ready ect but out of welding gas till monday thats why i left the chassis that runs up around the tunnel running across the car

ive also left inner and outer cills intact cut the floor just out further than where they join so i think it,ll be ok fr the moment

and nothing more is getting cut out till i get the braces in :thumbup

Edited by steel

been busy today :D

started by chopping out part of the outer cill which was rotten this also gave me access to the rusty inner cill inside of the rear quarter panel from inside the car i also cut out the inner cill made the cut a little way inward of the door seal lip

ciills8.jpg

cills13.jpg

i butted the box section up agains the overlap i left on the inner cill and on the outer cill there is a channel that the box section sits in perfectly :D this info was given to me by retro power i owe them fellas a beer or 8 :thumbup

ciills9.jpg

cleaned the edges ready to weld and g clamped the box section in place with 3 large clamps

ciills10.jpg

cills11.jpg

innercills7.jpg

innercills2.jpg

innercills1.jpg

opposite side done exactly the same

innercills6.jpg

innerciils5.jpg

Edited by mantaray

• 3 weeks later...

oh the joys of rebuilding a manta,, WELDED AND BRACED THE FRONT CROSSMEMBER IN POSITION TO ACT AS A jig for the new chassis rails i then chopped out all the old floor rails ect then i discovered that 1 of the rear legs of the crossmember was buckled and there is evidence of accident damage on the main crossmember which was then painted over :blink::unsure:

so i am going to remove it and use a different method of fitting the rails wich i hope i wont need to use the member as a jig in my head it seems logical will see if it pans out will post up pics l8er

Edited by steel

unfortunately this project is going to be put to bed for a while at the end of this week it has to go into my council lock up with no electric so until i get a generator i can do no more work on it :(

Edited by steel

gret news found myself a generator local for good price a m8 is getting me a box of cutting grinding and flap discs so the next plan for the car once the bulkhead and floors are sorted is a flip front ive not seen it done and i used to be into minis common mod on those dont see why i cant do it with a manta

thats brilliant m8,,do you or any other member have anymore pics of that car :thumbup or other flip fronted mantas

I've got loads of photos but they need scanning, wouldn't have thought anyone else would have any as it never made it off the driveway :(

BTW, excellent project and fabrication skills :thumbup

picked up a piece of 100x50 mm box section today i wanted to make a new crossbrace [the part that runs from inner cill to inner cill under the rear seat base] couple reasons for this

1 it gives somewhere for my chassis rails to mount to at the rear

2 in my opinion box section looks better being ime using box inner cills and chassis rails

3 it gives a nice flat edge to work from for say floor pans ect

i roughed out a hole in the centre for the prop to go through altho this will need the middle top piece cutting out and a section adding on top as its not tall enough i knew this when i bought it i could get wider dia box but the wall thickness is really heavy and i dont want that this is the same as the rest of the box ive used

picture158d.jpg

the shoulders on the ends sit perfectly on top of the inner cills [20mm higher] the rest fits flush with the bottom of the inner cill

Edited by steel