Head Gasket

rayman

Just put a new head gasket on after a rebuild and found when i put water in it that it leaked from either side down the length of the gasket.It was perfect before i took it off so can only presume dodgy gasket?.Any other ideas :angry:

Personally I would never assume "Dodgy Gasket" It is going to be something you have done.

I would hazard a guess at some sort of particle or bit of something that has got in when positioning the head, or gasket moving when positioning the head that has gave you an uneven mating surface.

ive had this a couple of times. if you use a good quality gasket it will have a` built in`raised silicone strip around the edge & around the water ports.some cheaper gaskets dont have this & you need to add your own. theoretically if your head & face of block are PERFECTLY flat then it shouldnt be needed at all but whoever makes the better gaskets(gm,payen & fai i seem to think)abviously think you do. i replaced a 2 litre gasket a while back & it poured out of the side all along under the manifolds.took it all apart again & used a proper gasket with the silicone lines & all was well. (in worst case scenario obviously people have heads skimmed to true them up but its more awkward to have a block skim if needed)

Just put a new head gasket on after a rebuild and found when i put water in it that it leaked from either side down the length of the gasket.It was perfect before i took it off so can only presume dodgy gasket?.Any other ideas :angry:

Did you remember to put the little rubber ring in the timing cover?

Chris

Well it turns out that it was a dodgy gasket as i stripped it down found the o-ring thingy was in ,the bolts got checked with a gauge and there was nearly 10mm clearance to bottom.All i can say is avoid BGM gaskets .Thanks everyone for all your ideas and advise :thumbup