A Series, 1.9 Or V8 ?

waite01

I recently bought an a series, its a 1.9 sr that had sat for many many years.

At the momment I am sure its the standard 1.9, apparently it was rebuilt just befor it came off the road nearly 10 years ago but there is no paperwork with the car at all. It had sat on a drive for 10 years and it still starts and runs sweet.

I dont want to finish the car and be disappointed by the engine and I like the idea of a v8 conversion. Whats the standard engine like as I have not had a opportunity to experience it properly, is there much you can do to get power out of them?

Alternatively how complex is a v8 conversion? What does it entail and what will I need. This is what I am keen on but it seems a shame to waste such a nice engine.

Best person to ask on the v8 is Paul1393 he had a nice v8 a series. but i think it was quite a bit of work to get the suspension and steering all sorted properly on the A.
Im more for a tuned 1.9, bore it out as big as you can get, flowed head, enem cam and you should be good for around 170 bhp. Montza or Chris (lambchop) are the guys to ask about tuned 1.9 CIH engines :-)
Andy
Edited by 611

As above, The CIH(cam in head) engine is very tunable.

The cost of doing a V8 convertionis expencive, if you used that monny to tune your 1.9 you could have a very good engine and the car would sill look original.

My advice, 1.9 bored out to 95mm (2.0) use some decent pistons to raise the comp ratio (wossner), pick a cam (234 kent, ENEM, Catcams), clean up the head and fit 45mm valves (check Rallybob on GT Forums), lighten and balance the bottom end, fit TB's or carbs (45's pref but 38 DGAS works well) decent 2/2.5 exhaust system but dont bother with a 4 branch manifold, xe or calibra turbo clutch. Should see 160 bhp fairly easily.

3.5 V8's are about 148/155bhp when good i.e new!! but they dont rev well (hyd tappets pump up at about 5500/6000) so hi rev lifters are needed.

Cheap bits from Real Steel tho.

Cost of doing the 1.9 would prob cos t the same as having the exhaust and manifolds made for the V8 conversion!! Look out on EBAy and on here bits do turn up, ask Rutts he has built a 1.9 on the cheap and it looks like being a good one.

Cheers

Chris

I like the idea of tuning the 1.9 just wasnt sure how easy they where to make good power.

Im not interested in anything crazy just a nice sound and some go to do the shell justice. What kind of power do you get out of a redtop and how much effort do they take to get in?

The engine i had before this one was a 1.9 bored out to take 95.5 over sized pistons, so was just over a 2.0l. big valve head from a 2.0l, kent cam (only fast road) twin carbs and got about 130/140bhp and used the standard 2.0l clutch and it went pretty well.

I think the red top's are about 150 standard. But they dont look as good as the old CIH :-)

have a little read up on here for CIH stuff http://www.opelgt.com

Andy

Thanks, that link was helpful. Im just trying to get as much knowledge as possible, dont want the car to be finished and be disappointed with the engine. I also have the opportunity to buy a 2.0 cih and 5 speed box. Would I be better off using that as the starting base??