Manta A Project

mcintbg

• 5 weeks later...

Major progress today, managed to get the old door pins out and the new ones are in.

The door shut is perfect, well chuffed.

Now that's done can fit the drivers side wing and finalise the lights and the rest of the front end.

Its starting to come together now with lots of bits going back on the car.

Question ... should I take the pins back off and cut them down to size or just leave as is ??

20141001001_zpscaa626fb.jpg

20141001002_zpsffd85dd6.jpg

20141001003_zps7f3203e5.jpg

• 6 months later...

long time since an update....

Have just got the front seats back from the upholsterers and have put them back in the car.

Also got an origional Opel radio from germany and have fitted that too.

New tyres all round and wings back on.

There is now more Manta bits on the car than in the house !!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and am thinking of an MOT in the next cpl of weeks.

Problems ?  Only one at the moment.  The accelerator pedal keeps falling off and the cable is under a lot of tension from the return spring on the carb.  Any ideas ?

005_zpsoq2zr199.jpg

004_zpsh2qaerqj.jpg

009_zpsogtqewo9.jpg

008_zpsoe1qolu0.jpg

007_zps2wkqwlek.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Took her out for a bit of a shake down.....

A1M at full speed... no problems.

On way home a slight ticking noise when turning left ??? Half a mile from home total brake failure :o got back OK but looks like a\ bit more fettling next week ! :)

God its noisey inside the car at least compared to my 530d

Excellent! Another back on the road, going to be a good year for A's. Havent had a chance to look for overider rubber yet, got my hands full at home with a newborn, but will try in the week, as need to go oht into the workshop for soem bits

Thx !

Great to see this progress, lucky escape with the brakes glad no damage done. I totally agree about the noise levels it was 9 years ago since I last drove mine, had forgotten about the difference 40 years of development makes. lol

Great to see this progress, lucky escape with the brakes glad no damage done. I totally agree about the noise levels it was 9 years ago since I last drove mine, had forgotten about the difference 40 years of development makes. lol

Brakes sorted :)

Own goal I am afraid .... i left the ring spanner on the bleed nipple and it must have slackened it off whilest driving !

Own goal I am afraid .... i left the ring spanner on the bleed nipple and it must have slackened it off whilest driving !

Did something similar myself, had a MK 2 Cavalier, for a Few months there was a knocking noise from underneath, checked the exhuast hangers etc but couldn't find anything.

eventually, right above the rear beam axel i found a pair of mole grips stiil clamped to the handbrake cable where i had been adjusting it, fair play to the grips, they had hung on for months !!!

Brakes sorted :)

I think all of us have left tools of one sort or another attached to our cars, I remember seeing a spanner in my rear view mirror going down the road at speed when I had my B series. Also went for a drive in it with only the wheel nuts just nipped on went about 200yds before a wheel came off, luckily no damage.

My mate bought my 3ltr astravan off me, he left the unit having done work on it, and he too forgot to tighten the wheel nuts on the front, it's not funny seeing your front wheel shoot off in front of you down the hill, amazingly the van didn't drop in that corner! No harm done, just took a while trying to find the wheel in a field.

Brake Servo failed today :(

Lucky I was just driving off the drive.....

So Not having much luck since passing the MOT Saturday.

Fan Belt gone

Top Hose Gone

Brakes Failed (my fault)

Brake Servo Failed

I bet finding another brake servo will be tricky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Upgraded with a set of NOS headrest courtesy of Paulgijssen.

And things are looking up on the brakes front, Simon P is sending me a replacement servo on Friday, just need a MC to fit it now and were off !

IMG_1403%202_zpstqmsduso.jpg

IMG_1402%202_zpsbbz5vokz.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...