Cavalier GLS Hatch

P6ULO

Well it went through the MOT yesterday, so we're nearly legal. Just sent off the UK registration application. The DVLA advises that this will take 4 - 6 weeks so it could be a little touch and go for Billing - let's hope it's sorted in time.

Well, it failed the MOT, as expected, on the following:

Inoperable horn, rear brakes out of balance, all four tyres cracked (receipts suggest they were 12 years old!), and emissions.

I'd already replaced the tailpipe which was falling apart so not bad really.

A new set of tyres and all the bits done and it now has a UK MOT. I've also stuck a new battery on it for peace of mind.

The journey back from the MOT station was interesting though. Arriving home after a blast down the A12, thick smoke started to appear from the front near side........one brake caliper had seized and fried the pads and boiled the fluid, needing the garden hose to quell the pads. Rather than faff about buying re-build kits I've now ordered new calipers for both sides, discs, pads, fitting kit and flexis. I'm just waiting on their arrival and the brake re-build will begin.

Otherwise the car seems to be in pretty good shape with just minor cosmetics to sort.........

.........let's hope it makes it to Billing :-)

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 5

Nice looking car, at least the caliper had the decency to peck it after the MOT! still remember when my old Manta SR decided randomly mid MOT to have a fuel leak right where the pipe goes on to the carb :rolleyes: luckily they were a decent bunch and swapped it over for me as it was the only gripe they could find!

Had to put new rubber on the Mrs Corsa for cracking recently, it's only just hit 4,000 miles this week and will be six years old in October, the tyre place reckon the fact it hasn't been anywhere really was a major factor in the cracking on the sidewalls.

• Like 1

Nice looking car! Congrats with the MOT!

About y'r problem: reconditioning of the callipers will be the next thing to do.

Don't forget to check the flexible hoses, had in the past several (old) cars with hoses that were swollen to the inside.

The pressure of the masterbrakecilinder could brake the car, but the calliper-cilinders could not bring the brake-oil 

back. 

Result. Found a set of proper GM ATS wheels for a good price! They'll need a professional refurbishment and a set of centre caps and we're good to go. Can't wait to see these on it. Can anyone advise do the standard (steel wheel nuts) go straight on to these rims or do they have a different seat angle?

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Good result! I too was very pleased when I located 4 x ATS alloys (some months ago, for €100 / £85) for my Manta coupe.

They turned out very well after being powder-coated and fitted with new tyres. I used the standard (Rostyle) wheel nuts and they work fine with the ATS rims.

Incidentially, could you post a pic of the wheel nuts on your car - with the plastic caps removed - please?

I need to get a set and it would be useful to know what they look like (the nuts on my car are long / deep and the plastic caps like on your car wont work on them)

On 6/28/2016 at 00:03, Berlinetta said:

Good result! I too was very pleased when I located 4 x ATS alloys (some months ago, for €100 / £85) for my Manta coupe.

They turned out very well after being powder-coated and fitted with new tyres. I used the standard (Rostyle) wheel nuts and they work fine with the ATS rims.

Incidentially, could you post a pic of the wheel nuts on your car - with the plastic caps removed - please?

I need to get a set and it would be useful to know what they look like (the nuts on my car are long / deep and the plastic caps like on your car wont work on them)

The wheel saga gets more interesting......Ok, I've attached below a photo of the GLS wheel nuts. They are 20mm from the outer face to virtually the end of the seat angle. maybe add a couple of mm for the part within the wheel bolt aperture. How does this compare with your manta ones? Also i tried the Vauxhall "rostyle" centre cap on the ATS wheel and they sort of fit.....now I'm not sure whether or not to try and stick with these or keep searching for correct ATS centres. I think the ATS centres would be better, either Vauxhall or Opel, but these may do as a temporary solution. Got the wheels booked in for refurb on 17th July (Couldn't get them done any earlier unfortunately).

• 3 weeks later...

Wheels back from the refurb place but i now have the same problem as "Berlinetta" above. There does seem to be a lot of nut not on the stud thread when the ATS's are fitted. The nuts are 20mm long. Is this right? Do the ATS wheels require longer studs or shorter nuts? I've posted this in tech help under wheels as well, so apologies if you've read it twice. The wheels have come up a treat though. Compare with pic above.

2 hours ago, Spitandpolish said:

All looks very good..

Can I ask where you bought the brake parts?

Sure Mark

Brakes International in Lancashire. Good website and very helpful when i phoned. Give them a ring if the items you need are shown as out of stock on line. They'll usually find them. They were the best prices i could find anywhere for the calipers. They were £47 inc vat for this type (after surcharge).

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/