Tyres

Dougal Cawley

Before I did the make-over of my GSI it had Road-Stones.

They were as new but terrible. As the name says "as hard as a stone". And when it rained they threw you of the 

road. Even in 3th gear drifting... Always wondered how they got that CE-label.

Everyone will have their preference on this. I like Goodyear but they tend to be a bit hard.hence they last a while but not very comfy.i put a set of grand prix s on mine in 1987 at 47000 miles.changed them in 2003 at 80000 miles and only down to 6mm.thats 2mm worn off in 33000 mile.the gt2's on now are at 7mm and mileage is 96000.but running at 23 psi they feel pretty good.

I've always run the i200 on Pirelli's. They are soft, so they stick to the road like glue but obviously tend to wear quicker as a result. But on a weekend car that doesn't do much mileage that really isn't a problem. They have been on the car for a few years now and show no sign of perishing or cracking either. I've had some crappy budget tyres on the Silver B for about 3 years and they are showing signs of cracking already. 

I've been running the Monaro on Bridgestones for a few years now and they seem like a good mix of grip and acceptable wear, at least for a car with rwd and 400bhp. I get through a set a year, which is okay. 

Also the fact that my mileage is shared between my fleet each car doesn't ever get much mileage per year on it so tyres can end up cracking before the tread actually wears out.there will be exceptions I suppose but usually better quality good known makes that have better grip are softer and the budget or unown brands tend to be a bit hard,less grip and last forever.