real red lead primer

stumpy

so years ago i used this stuff on mini inner cills the car rotted around them but they were still in great shap so anyone elso have experience of it and using the correct ppe would it be suitabe for the underside of the project  i now about the health side of things so that doesnt need to be gotten into  as using proper ppe  its more its suitability and wether its up to the job

Zinc rich primers are good and readily available .  Some are best applied in thin layers / dust coats rather than one application. All of our steel framed buildings are coated in zinc rich primers now ( 2 pack. Base and cure ). If anyone is ever in the Worcester area and wants some just let me know. We always have plenty in stock which is handy 🤣

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Buz said:

Zinc rich primers are good and readily available .  Some are best applied in thin layers / dust coats rather than one application. All of our steel framed buildings are coated in zinc rich primers now ( 2 pack. Base and cure ). If anyone is ever in the Worcester area and wants some just let me know. We always have plenty in stock which is handy 🤣

They use Zinc ingots on ships as a corrosion preventative, attached to the hulls below the water line. I use a Nickel Zinc grease that I acquired :ph34r: from a previous employment (supposedly out of date). If it is good for aircraft, then it's good for my cars.

• Like 1

Most redlead primers nowadays are a weak version of their former selves. Health and safety got involved and took the lead out of them, so they are no where near as good for rust prevention any more :(

• Like 1

it is still available if you know where to look the same as the old proper creosote and it is available  to licensed  suppliers[not to general punlic though]  i have 10ltrs of the stuff  if it was as good as i emember or was i looking through rose tinted specs was a long time ago