Manta GTE engine

Danny D114BCW

Opel Manta GTE engine. Removed from a low mileage car (84,000). Ran really well before being removed. It’s the later engine and has the unleaded P2E head fitted.

We have removed the head as the head gasket had failed. The head has now been bathed with a very light skim and built up with a new head gasket. 

Please note the head bolts will need tightening down once it’s been run up to temperature and the tappets will also need setting (we have adjusted them but may need fettling slightly once run in)

Comes complete with starter, fan, sump and mounts (see pictures) 

Collection from Burnley, Lancashire preferred. Otherwise it will have to be sent at the buyers cost on a pallet so message for an estimate. 

£300

Thank you. 

03004C2B-0235-49E8-8F82-7BB99802FF4D.jpeg

8D7B5DBC-79DC-41DA-86E8-F75CF07C7421.jpeg

C02554A1-E865-4110-9F37-E5C3C55873D6.jpeg

7625870F-651D-4EDA-88EE-86871016A409.jpeg

BC4844B8-0594-43AF-A0C4-EB1B4EEC19E7.jpeg

Hi Danny,

I note from the photo's that the dipstick on this engine does not have a guide tube. Do you happen to know which engines should, or should not, have one and could you tell me the part number on the dipstick & its length please. My 1987 2.0E GTE has a dipstick, number 9 275 400 - o/a 360mm long, but it hits the bottom of the sump when fully in and I wonder whether it requires a guide tube. Having said that, when a measured quantity of oil is added the stick reads correct.

Any help would be appreciated,

Steve.

IMG_2267.jpeg

IMG_2268.jpeg

Hi Steve, your dipstick is for sure one of a Manta GT/E. But if you look at your engine, is your dipstick fitted before your enginemount (left) or behind your enginemount. It is possible your engine was original one for a Rekord/Carlton or Omega and some have that tube. And also possible your engine is a 2.2 or 2.4... Look at the number stamped in the engine just above that enginemount.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny,

I had a conversation with Herman regarding the dipstick and he informed me that my engine should have a guide tube internally and not externally ( to guide the dipstick into the deeper part of the sump ). I will find out next week when the engine is removed, and stripped, to see if the tube has come loose or, more likely, is not there at all from the last re-build three years ago. I now have a tube suitable to install and will have everything else checked out again, as I was unhappy with the last re-build. Hopefully I'll have a better outcome this time and be able to use my car more often 🤞

Steve.

It will be obvious if the guide tube is not there because the dipstick will be a very very slack fit in the engine. Never known one fall out before. 

Ps Carlton,record engines with the dipstick in the front hole don't have a guide tube but have a different length dipstick with a larger rubber stop