Hello, and club valuation for 1971 Manta 1.6S - HMT 231J

Hello everyone, and thanks for accepting my membership.

I bought this very nice 1971 Manta 1.6S in 2019. This is a rust free low mileage car (36k miles - 59k Km). It spent the first half of its life in Italy before coming to the UK in the 1990s. I imagine it may be known to the club. 

I love this car. I have always wanted one since the 70s and will ensure its continuing careful preservation in standard form.

I may fit some alternative period option Rallye wheels but that will probably be all. Any other slight modifications will be fully and harmlessly reversible. 

I served my apprenticeship in Vauxhall engineering in Luton in the early 80s and have a small collection of rare 60s and 70s Vauxhalls also including two rare Viva HB GTs, a very early prototype Firenza (the world's oldest known Firenza) and two very rare VX series 490s. 

I'm seeking advice about obtaining a club valuation for my Manta for insurance purposes. I have tried to contact admin and have requested membership of the club Facebook page but I'm aware the Manta club will be volunteer run and that requests may take some time.

Can anyone assist in pointing me in the right direction for a club valuation? I live in Shropshire and have family near Chepstow on the South Wales / Gloucestershire border, if valuations are done by regional club representatives.

Many thanks,

Colin 

DSCF2257.JPG

DSCF2258.JPG

DSCF2259.JPG

DSCF2260.JPG

DSCF2261.JPG

DSCF2262.JPG

DSCF2263.JPG

DSCF2265.JPG

DSCF2266.JPG

Edited by Colin Barrett
  • Like 6

Hi Colin and welcome to the club 

Thats a very impressive collection and a lovely looking A series.

Values are on the up at the moment and with not many coming on the market very difficult to judge. 
There is a topic on values which is updated occasionally which may help to give you an idea.

Hopefully someone in your area can assist with a valuation.

• Like 2

• Colin Barrett changed the title to Hello, and club valuation for 1971 Manta 1.6S - HMT 231J

Thanks Mickfrad, very informative. 

I know my car car sold after an ACA auction in Kings Lynn in April 2018 for somewhere near it's lower estimate of £13k, so I have an idea of its value today, but I need an official club valuation for insurance purposes. 

https://www.glenmarch.com/auction-cars/show-backup-image/41283/results

As we know its important to have agreed value insurance for our increasingly valuable old cars, because otherwise insurers will pay only a fraction of their true value in the event of total loss. 

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club, I wondered where that one had gone.

I'm not sure who your nearest area rep would be, but any area rep or committee member should be able to do you a valuation. Simon Peckham who's the membership sec and A series registrar would be ideal, although he's some distance from you in Suffolk. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure who the area rep for Shropshire is, but I’m only in the next area over (staffs and Dale’s) and I can do you a letter headed valuation from the club. I’d need to see the car, but currently I can’t drive. If it’s something you want to arrange with me I’d be more than happy to help you. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

I’m not sure who the area rep for Shropshire is, but I’m only in the next area over (staffs and Dale’s) and I can do you a letter headed valuation from the club. I’d need to see the car, but currently I can’t drive. If it’s something you want to arrange with me I’d be more than happy to help you. 

That's brilliant Sutty,

Thanks very much indeed. The car is stored near Newport, Shropshire, so I could run it the 20 miles up to Stoke next weekend or the weekend after if that might suit you?

I'm available from Friday afternoons over the weekends to Monday evenings.

I will PM you. Many thanks again.

Colin  

Edited by Colin Barrett