Oil pressure switch

monstrous101

Hi All, 

Can anyone shed some light as to the thread on my 1986 GTE’s oil pressure switch please. It’s the one under the exhaust manifold on CIH. 

I have removed my old one ready to replace but the thread is different. The one I bought was an intermotor 53850 which has a M14 x 1.5 thread. However this is very different to the one that came off the car which I think is a VDO unit. The thread is finer and smaller, could it be an m10 x1 or an NPT 1/8” 27? There are so many to choose from. I expect I am not the first with this problem. Does anyone have any alternative part numbers ? Pictures attached.

65182A1D-4A52-4C63-95CC-CB073987366E.jpeg

4EE77416-1231-476D-872B-5A10B0C28BFB.jpeg

Hi, You need the 90 degree adaptor that you put in the block and then screw the sender in.

I prefer to move the sender to the oil pump area in one of the blocked off galleries so you get the sender away from the hot manifold though. 

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply, yes agree if I can find a 90 degree elbow to fit the m14x1.5 that would certainly fix it, but what thread is in the block? do you have any idea where I could get an elbow? Yes agree also on getting it away from the exhaust, onto the oil pump housing can you point to which blocked off gallery I could tap into? is their a bolt in a gallery I could remove and replace with either the pressure switch or a converter. 

1 hour ago, monstrous101 said:

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply, yes agree if I can find a 90 degree elbow to fit the m14x1.5 that would certainly fix it, but what thread is in the block? do you have any idea where I could get an elbow? Yes agree also on getting it away from the exhaust, onto the oil pump housing can you point to which blocked off gallery I could tap into? is their a bolt in a gallery I could remove and replace with either the pressure switch or a converter. 

I think on the later cars the oil pressure sender is mounted just above the oil pump housing on the timing cover, there should be a 7mm hex socket plug screw that was originally for priming the oil pump after a rebuild(if memory is correct)

The plug in the right hand side end of the gallery that runs from the pump to the oil filter, underneath the crankshaft aperture on the picture attached

(I’m on the iPad so can’t put and arrow on the picture, but hopefully the description explains things) Edit just learnt how to draw on the picture😊

3F974709-A324-4291-B0D0-EB1AEDF7DE3E.jpeg

Edited by Moonmonkey
  • Like 2

Many thanks for your help and ideas moonmonkey and Jessopia. Car builders do have loads of adaptors and yes I have located the oil pump priming plug. I guess I would prefer to re-locate the sender, what I am struggling with is what threads I’m dealing with. All I know is that the intermotor sender I have bought has an m14 x1.5 thread. If I was to use the oil pump priming port to locate it I need to understand what the thread on the oil pump priming port is, then I can buy an adapter to suit. I expect I won’t be so lucky to find that the oil pump priming port thread is m14 x 1.5😀. Am sure many of you out there have done this mod and can halo me find the adaptor I need.

• Like 1

Ok, I have now pulled the plug out of the oil pump priming port and can see that it is an m14x1.5 thread and my new sender screws into it, well till it touches the crank pulley, so all I need now is to find an m14x1.5 male to m14x1.5 female adapter to step the sender out away from the pulley then will be sorted I think. 

• Like 2

Wow, many thanks Jessopia, that’s brill, have ordered an m14 to m14 x1.5 pitch😀 hopefully this sorts everything and gets the pesky sensor away from the exhaust with the added bonus ans whole reason for doing this, will get my oil pressure gauge back after 30 years of living with it just flicking about erratically😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, having them sat under the exhaust was never a good idea, however the reason why they are at the back of the blocks oil gallery is it’s a more accurate way to determine the pressure at the furthest point after all other feeds. In the bigger scheme of things it can’t be that much of a problem moving it to the cover as that is where the Family2 engines can is fitted (1.8 engine)

• Like 1

i could be wrong but i think they usually fit them /move them tothe blanking plug above the oil filter ? rather than the pump side. that should be the same thread and is the same gallery that goes to the back anyway . problem is the plugs are usually very very stuck !

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 17:53, cam.in.head said:

i could be wrong but i think they usually fit them /move them tothe blanking plug above the oil filter ? rather than the pump side. that should be the same thread and is the same gallery that goes to the back anyway . problem is the plugs are usually very very stuck !

You may be right, I checked over the weekend and it’s on the rhs of the timing cover on my Frontera 2.4 CIH. My 2.0 Manta is under the exhaust on the main gallery.

• Like 1

yes putting them there was always a bad idea. not so bad on the single wire sensor but the 2 wire type always seem to end up with connection issues and brittle wiring.the front position is basically the same gallery anyway .did know fronteras put them there. thats probably what gave manta owners the idea of relocation.

• Like 1