Opel Manta B GTE (?)

David Schuurhuis

Hello, I bought a Manta B GTE (I think) from Germany early this year, but I'm not sure if it's a real GTE. It's from December 1977, a 2.0E engine. It also has all the clocks, oil volts rpms. Standard red fabric interior with red leather door trim (so no Recaro). Dash and floor mats are black. It is a white car, with black hood, rear panel and nose. Furthermore, the weight stated on the type plate is 1345 kg. It is a German car, German registration etc. is all included. Is there anything I can tell for sure that this is a GTE? I asked Opel Nederland (and they checked it in Germany) and they could not help me.

Thanks a lot, 

David Schuurhuis

I'd check are the air filter box mounting brackets factory welded (spot welded) or a DIY job. Not 100% accurate but a good starting point & easy to see,

I also think the chasis plate should be stamped XR3 if it's a genuine GTE. The late B2's are not sure about your earlier car.

Edited by Vince

Hi David, welcome over here.  I am from the Flemish side of Belgium, near Antwerp. Am also a member of the Dutch Manta Club. So as Vince wrote above the air filter brackets are an indication, but when you look under the car behind the rear axle a G/TE you will find the fuel pump:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This fuel pump with filter etc. is bolted with rubber silencers on a triangel plate, welded on the chassis rail. Remember my first Manta was a carburator one and it didn't had that. Also those older G/TE's had no Recaro's.   The loom (Bedrading) of the injection goes into the interieur on the right side of the car just above the right chassis rail through the bulkhead, so this hole is about 4-5cm dia. and clean stamped. I made this hole myself on my first Manta so it was not so clean. Can be an indication... The fuel lines are made of metal but under the chassis (where the pass. seat is bolted) is a flexible part. Those metal fuel lines enter the engine bay also on the right side and from there they are also rubber lines. A 1977 model has got grey injectors, the later B2's got yellow ones. 

But most important: We all like pictures so show us your car! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi David, welcome over here.  I am from the Flemish side of Belgium, near Antwerp. Am also a member of the Dutch Manta Club. So as Vince wrote above the air filter brackets are an indication, but when you look under the car behind the rear axle a G/TE you will find the fuel pump:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

This fuel pump with filter etc. is bolted with rubber silencers on a triangel plate, welded on the chassis rail. Remember my first Manta was a carburator one and it didn't had that. Also those older G/TE's had no Recaro's.   The loom (Bedrading) of the injection goes into the interieur on the right side of the car just above the right chassis rail through the bulkhead, so this hole is about 4-5cm dia. and clean stamped. I made this hole myself on my first Manta so it was not so clean. Can be an indication... The fuel lines are made of metal but under the chassis (where the pass. seat is bolted) is a flexible part. Those metal fuel lines enter the engine bay also on the right side and from there they are also rubber lines. A 1977 model has got grey injectors, the later B2's got yellow ones. 

But most important: We all like pictures so show us your car! 

Okay thanks, all the indications seem to tell that mine is an original GTE 😁

But arent there injection engines in standard (not GTE) models? Or do only GTE’s have injection? Because im sure that mine is original 2.0E, is has 110 hp on the German registration.

I can post some pictures later on the day.

The manta will get fully sandblasted at the beginning of next week, im really looking forward.

13 hours ago, 1900SR said:

Wouldn't a December 1977 car have had a 1.9E engine originally?

I thought from july/August 1977 (so model year 1978) can also have 2.0E

• Like 1

As above already mentioned; 20E was available from '77.  So David, it can also be possible you'v got a Manta E. Is a normal Manta (Berlinetta/luxus...) with the 110 hp engine. Was available in those models and didn't need to be a G/TE.

Check your adrema-plate, thats the ID plate you will find on the drivers side behind the headlamp under the hood, same colour as the car. You must find the code LY3 somewhere , means 2.0E engine.

The 1345kg is the max weight of the car with load. 

If you take a picture of the adrema plate I can figure out what original was, lot of info on it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

As above already mentioned; 20E was available from '77.  So David, it can also be possible you'v got a Manta E. Is a normal Manta (Berlinetta/luxus...) with the 110 hp engine. Was available in those models and didn't need to be a G/TE.

Check your adrema-plate, thats the ID plate you will find on the drivers side behind the headlamp under the hood, same colour as the car. You must find the code LY3 somewhere , means 2.0E engine.

If you take a picture of the adrema plate I can figure out what original was, lot of info on it.

I can't find the adrema plate, there is nothing behind the headlamp. I have found another type plate, but I dont know if you mean that one, because there is no LY3 on it.

Here are some pictures 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, H-400 said:

Ah, we didn't get the 2.0 in the UK until May 1978. Mind you we didn't get an injected Manta until 1983 over here either.

Nice pics, the plate you showed is the VIN plate. The adrema one is fitted on the same spot just on the other side. The black trim that is used looks also G/TE, as also the Engelman mirrors and the black hood & nosecone.  

6 hours ago, H-400 said:

Nice pics, the plate you showed is the VIN plate. The adrema one is fitted on the same spot just on the other side. The black trim that is used looks also G/TE, as also the Engelman mirrors and the black hood & nosecone.  

There is nothing on the other side, i looked at another manta and he did have a plate on this side. Mine also has no holes where the plate should be...

Your VIN plate looked a bit weird to me, Russelsheim and VIN number says made in Antwerp? So I checked it out and yes this Manta was made in Antwerp for the German market. Body looks rather good, as usually the B1 Manta's are better than the B2's. 

Do you have the original German "Fahrzeugbrief"? 

Succes with the restoration👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, H-400 said:

Your VIN plate looked a bit weird to me, Russelsheim and VIN number says made in Antwerp? So I checked it out and yes this Manta was made in Antwerp for the German market. Body looks rather good, as usually the B1 Manta's are better than the B2's. 

Thanks, this is the Fahrzeugbrief:

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

It is strange as it says made in West Germany on the plate as well, rather than Belgium.

Hi David, your Manta is 100% sure a real G/TE. On the "fahrzeugbrief" you will find the "schlusselnummer", has got nothing to do with the number on your key 😁, but is an identification code the Germans use. This code is on your Manta 547 and thats the code of a G/TE👍. Your car is made in Antwerp in the 11th month of '77 and exported to Germany. The production of Manta's in Russelsheim stopped somewhere in October '77. 

@Steve 1900SR, I noticed this also. Probably the VIN plate was made in West Germany?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi David, your Manta is 100% sure a real G/TE. On the "fahrzeugbrief" you will find the "schlusselnummer", has got nothing to do with the number on your key 😁, but is an identification code the Germans use. This code is on your Manta 547 and thats the code of a G/TE👍. Your car is made in Antwerp in the 11th month of '77 and exported to Germany. The production of Manta's in Russelsheim stopped somewhere in October '77. 

@Steve 1900SR, I noticed this also. Probably the VIN plate was made in West Germany?

Okay that is good news 😁 Thanks a lot

• Like 1