Manta B GT/E rear springs

Tom Miller

I don’t know what the drop is on mine. I’ve fitted 17” wheels and 400 arches and it’s only gave me around 30mm clearance. I’m going to try standard springs. Just looking for recommendations.

image.jpg

That's quite a low kit, those rims will really suit it. There are so many versions of kit, available. I would measure your wheel, tyre diameter, or load it to the maximum weight you are ever likely to carry. 

Also shock will affect spring travel. 

With a tyre diameter, we can check, and then give, clearance and spring, shock combo. 

Is it standard manta axle, drums, and standard manta spring seat. It's not a cheeky 5 stud hiding behind that cover😋

Everything on the axle is standard. New Koni shocks but I don’t know the origins of the springs. That’s why I want to go to standard as that’s the max height I’m likely to see. Arches have been tubbed but I have 17x10 on the back and there is no space for the wheel to travel.

Try this project thread, think Mick was running larger rims, but profile of tyre is large also, scanned through the thread, maybe he mentions spring setup. Looks quite high, 

Mick is also running bilstein shock, these are hard, not much travel, if anything,  I had to move away from them as I was getting axle tramp, managed to dial it out, using Avo adjustable, with 60mm progressive  lowering spring,  with a strap to stop axle drop. Running 9x15 rev, on a 225,50 tyre, will be moving to 205, 50. Soon, to reduce tyre wall. 

Mick is also running bilstein shock, I had to move away from them as I was getting axle tramp, managed to dial it out, using Avo adjustable, with 60mm progressive  lowering spring,  with a strap to stop axle drop. 9x15, on a 225,50 tyre, will be moving to 205, 50. Soon, to reduce tyre wall. 

Maybe borrow a standard set of rear springs, and give tim at TJM Motorsport a shout, think you can get 30mm, 45mm and 60mm drops. 

Also check out Mazda mx5 rear spring height adjuster, see if I can find it......

Edited by ®evo03

Thanks. Very interesting. I’m new to Mantas after 40yrs away and I’ve never had one with a 400 kit. It must be too soft but I need to explore the options. I’m very grateful for the help. Cheers

This is my 400r on std 1.8 springs (17” rims with 275/40R17 tyres), so that 25.75” or 650mm overall diameter. It’s a different axle, but has manta spring pans ‘hangers on it so it would be the same on the original axle. I have the original 1.8 springs off my silver coupe too, and I purchased -50mm for that. I do have a pic somewhere and will post it if I find of all the springs next to each other so you can see the difference. Pic of Silver coupe  on 17” rims with 235/40R17 tyres or 620mm overall diameter as a comparison to original arches. 

STD GTE are -25mm  IIRC.  What I have found is spring advertised as fitting GTE are all none GTE heights, hence why we have seen a large number of cars looking like they are jacked up for off-roading. So it’s a bit misleading sometimes as we do not know what the reference ride height is on these adverts 💁

Tim at TJmotorsport is the best place to buy imho, as you will get what you ask for height wise, but for me with my setup it would be -40mm I will be using. 

37C476B3-4E3B-4C67-8951-262F5D2EC015.jpeg

F206DD96-9E7A-47C0-ADBB-F2726D1FA883.jpeg

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 2

Another nice example here, smaller 13 or 14 rims, possibly on red manta. Needs to be very low to pull off being fitted with smaller rims.  Anything larger that 15inch makes a manta look too modern. Think the silver manta are banded steels, and manufactured alloys on red. Not modified. But both look so well, and not out of place. 

FB_IMG_1681195991642.jpg

FB_IMG_1681196521903.jpg

FB_IMG_1681196575647.jpg

Edited by ®evo03

• 3 months later...
On 10/04/2023 at 23:50, Jessopia74 said:

This is my 400r on std 1.8 springs (17” rims with 275/40R17 tyres), so that 25.75” or 650mm overall diameter. It’s a different axle, but has manta spring pans ‘hangers on it so it would be the same on the original axle. I have the original 1.8 springs off my silver coupe too, and I purchased -50mm for that. I do have a pic somewhere and will post it if I find of all the springs next to each other so you can see the difference. Pic of Silver coupe  on 17” rims with 235/40R17 tyres or 620mm overall diameter as a comparison to original arches. 

STD GTE are -25mm  IIRC.  What I have found is spring advertised as fitting GTE are all none GTE heights, hence why we have seen a large number of cars looking like they are jacked up for off-roading. So it’s a bit misleading sometimes as we do not know what the reference ride height is on these adverts 💁

Tim at TJmotorsport is the best place to buy imho, as you will get what you ask for height wise, but for me with my setup it would be -40mm I will be using. 

37C476B3-4E3B-4C67-8951-262F5D2EC015.jpeg

F206DD96-9E7A-47C0-ADBB-F2726D1FA883.jpeg

Hey, 

Old post I know, but I was just having a look through the forums for pictures like this. 

I'm looking to upgrade the diddy little original wheels on my 1985 Berlinetta 1.8s hatchback. Do you know if the arches would be the same size as your silver coupe?

I've found some 16×9's secondhand on ebay, although I'm thinking 9 is going to cause rubbing issues when turning for the front?

They also are pretty over priced imo so I may end up just buying new from this company  either with 15's or 16's, with 9 wide at back and 7 or 8 on the front.

I'd like a look something like the hatch in the pic, but not go as big as the coupe 

manta-b-cc-facelift-1982-opel.jpg

87eb2b4c-faa9-4028-a8c5-fa51a587f1ea.jpeg

The arches will be the same . 9” front on std arches is way too much, you won’t get any lock lol. I think 7.5” should be considered maximum width on front really, unless with 16” you are letting the whole wheel sit a little further out of the arch as such, then perhaps 8” . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

15 X 8 BBS reps. 60mm lowering springs, Bilstein shocks. 

IMG_7931_zps39c5d2d7.jpg.f2e50f3b8964e44a6fb8c5b197972979.jpg

Lovely car! That's exactly like mine, apart from mines black.

So they are 8's on the front aswell? Any rubbing issues? 

Do you reckon if I put 9's on the back they would need to come out over the arches? 

I've decided I'm going with 15's. I think withs 7's on the front, just debating about 8 or 9's on the back.

On 23/07/2023 at 00:03, BerlinettaBoy said:

Hey, 

Old post I know, but I was just having a look through the forums for pictures like this. 

I'm looking to upgrade the diddy little original wheels on my 1985 Berlinetta 1.8s hatchback. Do you know if the arches would be the same size as your silver coupe?

I've found some 16×9's secondhand on ebay, although I'm thinking 9 is going to cause rubbing issues when turning for the front?

They also are pretty over priced imo so I may end up just buying new from this company  either with 15's or 16's, with 9 wide at back and 7 or 8 on the front.

I'd like a look something like the hatch in the pic, but not go as big as the coupe 

manta-b-cc-facelift-1982-opel.jpg

87eb2b4c-faa9-4028-a8c5-fa51a587f1ea.jpeg

These are bmw e30 style 5s I know they’re 15 but unsure on width. 205 55 15 tyres. 

09332229-579A-45D0-BF43-02A32B1B2587.jpeg

• Like 1

8s all round same offset, no issues, they are fairly past it now, but suit the age of the car. They kept very well, no issues. Think the are called calibre, BBS reps, cheap second hand, but they suffered lacquer lift, if not cared for. 

When purchased, they where the `in thing` fitted to BMW Mini, Golfs etc. But hey a good thing never really falls out of fashion. They are very good quality if looked after, good finish, and look very authentic. and suit the period. 

You could maybe fit 9s but they are gonna really hang over the rear arch, not bad if your hardened suspension, and no onboard weight. But be careful. 

Would fit 8s up front. 7 are too narrow. 

Try to find a local set for sale, try them on 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 09:21, ®evo03 said:

8s all round same offset, no issues, they are fairly past it now, but suit the age of the car. They kept very well, no issues. Think the are called calibre, BBS reps, cheap second hand, but they suffered lacquer lift, if not cared for. 

When purchased, they where the `in thing` fitted to BMW Mini, Golfs etc. But hey a good thing never really falls out of fashion. They are very good quality if looked after, good finish, and look very authentic. and suit the period. 

You could maybe fit 9s but they are gonna really hang over the rear arch, not bad if your hardened suspension, and no onboard weight. But be careful. 

Would fit 8s up front. 7 are too narrow. 

Try to find a local set for sale, try them on 

Ok, yeah I did look at the Calibre vintage  ones, they are nice, but I thought the Jr-9's look a bit more aggressive, which I reckon would suit the Manta a bit more!

That's a shame you reckon the 9's would over hang, as they are discounted quite nicely there, best price I could find online by far.

If they over hang they won't pass an MoT I think 🤔

Guess I'll go 8's all round just to be safe, or maybe just switch the wheels back when I take it for an MoT 😅

On 27/07/2023 at 05:58, Sutty2006 said:

These are bmw e30 style 5s I know they’re 15 but unsure on width. 205 55 15 tyres. 

09332229-579A-45D0-BF43-02A32B1B2587.jpeg

Nice! Probably 8's I would guess. Definitely the best style on a Manta imo, the 5 spoke GTE's are nice, but I slightly prefer the e30 style.

Is that a personalised number plate. Sut for Sutty? Very cool.

4 hours ago, BerlinettaBoy said:

Ok, yeah I did look at the Calibre vintage  ones, they are nice, but I thought the Jr-9's look a bit more aggressive, which I reckon would suit the Manta a bit more!

That's a shame you reckon the 9's would over hang, as they are discounted quite nicely there, best price I could find online by far.

If they over hang they won't pass an MoT I think 🤔

Guess I'll go 8's all round just to be safe, or maybe just switch the wheels back when I take it for an MoT 😅

Nice! Probably 8's I would guess. Definitely the best style on a Manta imo, the 5 spoke GTE's are nice, but I slightly prefer the e30 style.

Is that a personalised number plate. Sut for Sutty? Very cool.

I’ve been toying with getting rid and having something with a bit of dish, but haven’t found anything yet, nor have the cash. But these wheels ideally need 4 new tyres. They’re ok but a bit old. 

and yes, bought that plate over 10 years ago after my brother bought a private plate for his BMW. Love it! Period correct font too, nothing worse than an old car using new font reg plates. They look so out of place! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

I’ve been toying with getting rid and having something with a bit of dish, but haven’t found anything yet, nor have the cash. But these wheels ideally need 4 new tyres. They’re ok but a bit old. 

and yes, bought that plate over 10 years ago after my brother bought a private plate for his BMW. Love it! Period correct font too, nothing worse than an old car using new font reg plates. They look so out of place! 

When you say a bit of dish, what's that? Like the steel dish wheels?

Alloys and tyres are a big investment, but the stocks on the Manta are just screaming out for an upgrade.

I was thinking of getting a number plate with MNT or MNTA and my birth year or something, but not found one I like yet, that or they are 10k+!

47 minutes ago, BerlinettaBoy said:

When you say a bit of dish, what's that? Like the steel dish wheels?

Alloys and tyres are a big investment, but the stocks on the Manta are just screaming out for an upgrade.

I was thinking of getting a number plate with MNT or MNTA and my birth year or something, but not found one I like yet, that or they are 10k+!

Yeah and MAN1A is an Isle of Man rego. Which is a shame! 

dish meaning the face of the wheel is set in further than the rim. 

• Like 1