Recommendations for fuel filler neck pipe for A series

I could never seem to work out why when i went around a left hand bend in the A series that i could smell fuel, no leaks that i could see and originally i thought it was the breather setup but today i took the A out for a run as it was a nice day and i needed to stop for fuel and after filling her up i could see a small fuel mark on the floor and on further investigation i could see that where i had filled it up it must have run down the filler neck pipe and was running out where the pipe fits onto the tank. Not seen it before but this must be where the leak is as that would be the side the fuel would slosh to on a tight left hand bend.

It was new pipe i fitted when i put the new tank in but that was a few years ago now!! So any recommendation would be appreciated.

spacer.png.

spacer.png

Thanks

Andy

Edited by 611
  • Like 1

not familiar with the 'a' series setup but if the pipes fairly new and leaked for a while there must be something obvious to see. does it have the lower vent pipe incorporated into the filler pipe like the b series have ? this is a seperate system to the vents which just vent into the atmosphere.

bad hose,clip, seam,crack or split on pipe ? 

21 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

not familiar with the 'a' series setup but if the pipes fairly new and leaked for a while there must be something obvious to see. does it have the lower vent pipe incorporated into the filler pipe like the b series have ? this is a seperate system to the vents which just vent into the atmosphere.

bad hose,clip, seam,crack or split on pipe ? 

It does vent from the tank to the filler neck and out to the atmosphere but that has all been changed so i know that is all fine as i thought that was the problem originally.

On the A the tank is under the boot so the filler pipe goes down the inside of the back quarter panel and onto the top of the tank inlet and that is where its leaking from. I had proper clamps and have checked the fitting and everything, and im just wondering if where the pipe is old its got hard or cracked?

So im just going to put a new piece on rather than mess about trying to sort that one 🙂

Something like this looks good!

https://www.autosiliconehoses.com/51mm-rubber-fuel-filler-neck-flexible-hose-1-2-metre.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw9J2iBhBPEiwAErwpefhnYBgI9gb4HiTKv_ZhZyQ22NEUWILInPDzt7Ynaul7iOmFfkuegBoCRIkQAvD_BwE

Edited by 611
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

I will need replacement for my Voyage too, so ty for the info.

Im going to measure the filler neck tomorrow and see what size it is and then i can work out which pipe to get. I will keep you posted on progress.

What size and length is the Voyage? as im thinking 1/2 meter is quite long as im sure the length of the one on the A is quite short and i might have spare left over.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Retromanta1972 said:

Just replaced mine as leaking when filling up filler hose  55mm ID and  200mm long

pick up on ebay for about 15 pounds 

Brilliant, thanks for the info 🙂

Andy

2 hours ago, 611 said:

Im going to measure the filler neck tomorrow and see what size it is and then i can work out which pipe to get. I will keep you posted on progress.

What size and length is the Voyage? as im thinking 1/2 meter is quite long as im sure the length of the one on the A is quite short and i might have spare left over.

It was about 200mm tbh

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update as i hate a thread that never finishes with the solution!

I bought some of this on eBay - 55mm id x 200mm long Fuel Filler Hose PVC/NBR Non-reinforced Petrol / Diesel

from http://jtarubber.co.uk/index.htm

perfect fit and perfect length for the A series.

Cant say if its cured it or not as after fitting it i thought i would head out for a run and see if it was cured, but the battery was flat! maybe Thursday, so i will update if its worked or not as soon as i know.

Andy

• Like 1