Greetings from Exeter, Devon.

Good Morning.

New to this site today!  I don't have a Manta (would love one though), but what I do have is a Chevette that I have been rallying for the past couple of years.  The car runs a Manta B gearbox and Manta B rear axle with standard 3.67 diff.

For motorsport the car would hugely benefit from a higher ratio, something 4.1 or bigger.  

Unlike Fords, information and parts are not in abundance, so my questions are;   Was there a model Manta that came with a higher diff as standard? or, Is there anywhere I can get one aftermarket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂

• Like 2

Welcome along. The UK cars only came with 3.44 and 3.67 options of axle gearing as standard. There was a 3.9 fitted as standard somewhere in europe that might be findable on ebay germany etc. Think it only came on the small engined manta b's over there like Greece had for emmisions reasons.

But 4.22 to 5.28 CWP's are available from a few places such as https://www.krause-rennsporttechnik.de/shop/en/Chassis/Rear-Axle/Axle-drive-ratio%2C-CIH?source=2&refertype=1&referid=107

• Like 1

16 hours ago, H-400 said:

The Manta 1.3S (75hp) has got a 3,89 one, and is also the "big" rear axle. Not sure they were sold in the UK...

Thats the one i'd heard the 3.9 (3.89) was in but nice to have it confirmed. But no it was never sold in the UK, to the best of my knowledge there is only 1 over here and Lewis imported that from Greece if i remember rightly

Vatanen, if yours is 3.44, I'm interested :)

I have a 1.9S and would love to do the opposite, reduce revs and fuel consumption a little. Is there any way to tell whether you have a 3.44 or 3.67, other than cracking it open?

I'd love to try a 3.44 and see how it affects fuel economy as I used to use mine for commuting 70 miles a week on the motorway.

22 hours ago, mantasrme said:

Welcome along. The UK cars only came with 3.44 and 3.67 options of axle gearing as standard. There was a 3.9 fitted as standard somewhere in europe that might be findable on ebay germany etc. Think it only came on the small engined manta b's over there like Greece had for emmisions reasons.

But 4.22 to 5.28 CWP's are available from a few places such as https://www.krause-rennsporttechnik.de/shop/en/Chassis/Rear-Axle/Axle-drive-ratio%2C-CIH?source=2&refertype=1&referid=107

as far as i can remember cav 1256 models had a 4.11 ratio diff but im not sure if it would be transferrable into a larger engined variant as the casings may be different .possibly similar to a chevette ?

obviously you could fit an entire axle but i would imagine they are almost impossible to find ( and not as strong ? )

I've most likely got a 3.67 too but have smaller wheels and really want to get engine revs down so it doesn't drink fuel as much. I don't need much acceleration but I can always change back if I can't have fun on the grass anymore