Hatch Sportex

Had a similar problem many years ago with Jetex system on a hatch. Resolved by backing off the clamps and twisting the pipe and box over the axle until it lined up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BarryD89 said:

Yes, but I didn’t fit it.  Seems to line up Ok, but you must buy the hatch one.  

55BB2F93-E25A-443E-A0AF-D0D2DB558F79.MOV

Hi Barry, OK, I did order the hatch one but I'm seriously doubting whether I may been sent a coop one in error. Assuming youve one a hatch, so does your rear box and tailpipe sit straight front to rear on the car or is there a bit of an angle? I had a go at mine again today but for the rear box to sit straight the pipe would need to run through the panhard mount!

The CIH and 1.8 exhausts are very different. The CIH engines cars the exhaust comes from the drivers side and crosses the car at an angle, whereas the 1.8 gen2 engine the exhaust comes all the way down the passenger side. This could possibly be your odd angle. 

• Like 1

Thanks Barry. A picture really is worth a 1000 words. I can see from yours that even fitted correctly it does sit at a bit of an angle. David Howell who undoubtedly knows his stuff on these matters also told me they need modified quite a bit to fit and the vendor confirmed its the right exhaust and that these are the same design from back in the day so I guess its just a thing that the hatch has never been a great fit. The man that put that fuel tank down there has a lot to answer for!! Shame that its not a bit closer off the shelf as it really wouldnt take much but heh ho, it wouldn't be a manta if anything was simple or worked first time. 

• Haha 1

as mentioned ive had many aftermarket "normal" exhausts that dont quite sit absolutely perfect. usually you can rectify by bending the mounting hanger bar sometimes it needs cutting off and rewelding on in a better position. 

sometimes however the bends are just not right regardless and may need a little cut and weld unless you have access to or can make a pipe bender/  heat bend etc.

its worth having a play and taking your time to get it right otherwise "near enough" can sometimes result in knocking over bumps or with weight in boot.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SlowestEverResto said:

Agreed, it's a shame to cut into a nice new product but now i know its not just a mistake I'll get it where it needs to be before moving on.

It’s def something to do with their jig as many others have made same comments. I just cut it off and then welded it into the correct place, easy enough to clean the old weld off and then aerosol back to colour. Still one of the better sounding systems imo.