My GTE hatch

Bought another manta yesterday from my brother. Its an 85 GTE hatch. Bought it as my coupe will not be on the road this year and wanted a manta again.

I'm just in from giving the car the 'Once over'. put it on the ramps and went from back to front. Now I expected to find some serious rot to be honest as i hosed about 6 buckets full of mud out from under the arches. My brother has used the car for a year as a daily driver so I didnt expect much. To my surprise it nees very little[^][^] . slight hole on the rear valance (bro has a new one) and a hole in the drivers side in front of the A pillar. I know what I'm looking for on these cars and this one is solid.[^]. That being said its been repaired quite a bit before and most of it aint pretty, but I dont have to do it [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D].

one rear arch will need tidied up, could need an repair section int he future but its quite solid for now. I had to put the wheels off my red gte on it as the bro wanted to keep em, dont fit his car right but he doesnt seem to mind [:o)][:D].

anyway heres some pics:

100_1087.jpg

100_1088.jpg

100_1089.jpg

100_1092.jpg

anyone know what the decals are on the side? the back of them have the opel blitz so I'd say they are a GM option, anyopne seen them before or know if they are still available?

PS: Excuse the cheeky wee face in the pics, its just my 3 year old son. He likes to get 'Involved'[:D]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

e-mail : mark_gunning@yahoo.co.uk

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

it was on ebay about a year ago when my brother bought it but it was sold to him through the club. The car was at billing last year as well.

Nex weekend will see the engine swapped (for another CIH) as this ones a bit tired. Also the exhaust is blowing so that'll get sorted too, Oh and the rad is leaking so that'll be getting swapped too. Lucky I've got all the parts from my gte coupe.[^]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

Well, I am knackered, absolutley knackered[|)][|)][|)]

I wanted to swap the engine in the hatch today for the one from the coupe as I am hoping to take it to our first pub meet next week. Unfortunatley I decided to get a stomach bug as well and 'for want of a better phrase it has 'cleaned me out'[:D].

I only managed to get out to the garage at 2pm today so progress was slow (I was going about half speed) here's the update:

The car wasnt idling right and seemed to be using a lot of oil (the engine is covered in it too, its an unknown mileage as its not the original clocks.

So I started taking it to bits and was about half way though when I noticed 2 injectors loose, most likely the cause of the poor running, I toyed with the idea of tightning and rebuilding but since i was half way though I kept going[:D].

usual problems, downpipe to manifold bolts siezed (just unbolted the manifold) etc. Anyways the old engine is out now and hopefully I will get the other engine fitted tomorrow.

here's some pics:

taking off the manifold:

100_1105.jpg

Wheakin' her out [:D]:

100_1106.jpg

The mess thats left, I told you all it wasnt pretty [:D]:

100_1107.jpg

Of course once the engine was out I found a piece of rot on the chassis leg so I'll plate it for now. I reckon it'll need legs in the future[V].

Ok. I'm off for a sleep[|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 1 month later...

Done a bit of body work on this now, I had intended to just blow in a few smal areas, but there were a tright few and it became easier just to paint panels rather than cornsers of them.

I started to tidy up the arch but ended up doing the quater panel, also the rear valance was rusty along with the area below the lights and the back of the tailgate had been hit. there was a hughe dent in it.

I was nowhere near as fussy as i am being with the ciupe but was surprised ant my 'gun finish'. (although I did give the quater a quick lick with the buff[:I].

The car is going for MOT at the beginning of June and does need a few more things done, seatbelt, small bit of welding (Yes, a small bit)

Heres a few pics:

hatch001.jpg

hatch003.jpg

hatch004.jpg

hatch005.jpg

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 2 weeks later...

Started tp prep the car for MOT now (7th June) and it may be a big task.

First job on the list was the hole in the drivers side in front of the A pillar. I think this is the only bid of welding required. As usual I had to cut out more than expexted but it is easier to replace large sections anyway. heres some pics:

hatchmanta001.jpg

I forgot to take a pic before I welded the first section in but you can see what had to be cut out.

hatchmanta003.jpg

both bits welded in.

hatchmanta005.jpg

Some of the 'aint prety stuff' .

I also found the corner of the washer bottle tray had gone, its been welded before (just not enough )

hatchmanta008.jpg

the sealed and painted article. Will paint tomorrow with stone chip.

No more wet feet in the rain now .

List is now:

Drivers seatbelt

Exhaust (banging on floor)

fit fog light

ARB drop link bushes

then its just the normal, brake pipes, fuel lines etc etc.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the billing trip Friday night (took 2 extra weeks), I brought back presents for both mantas, including a new set of wheels for each.

Heres a couple of pics of them, any comments would be great, just keep it clean lol:

100_1452.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1456.jpg

100_1453.jpg

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817

yes, they are BMW wheels.

I bought the car to do me untill the coupe was finished but as I've done each bit of work to it I've made it a better car and now it really is quite a good one.

I'm gonna keep it as well now. Still some cosmetics to do and am currently fitting twin lamps, sprayed up and fitted the surrounds today, will get the lamps during the week and wire up.

manta.jpg

OMOC 5817