1976 B series coupe. General work continues

Sutty2006

40 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

The Crimps should be matched to the wire CSA. Yellow crimp is too big for the CSA of the wire, I would do a resistance check on it.  

What resistance should expect through it? 

5 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

seeing as its an earth wire anyway you could cut off the plastic crimp covers snd solder the wire ends .

this would make it a better connection and more future proof !

Not recommended on wires subjected to high vibration mate. 

I have 0.5 ohm on the original wire, and 0.0 (zero) ohms on the new wire. I have re-crimped the original wires connections and still nothing. I have also recrimped the the positive to the alternator as that was a bit dodgy. Still nothing. 

I have noticed that the original alt has this little black box on the back,

On the left 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

and the one I fitted yesterday doesn’t. (Ok it’s missing the other piece which I switched over) 

but I’ve already had charge out of this alternator, but now nothing since messing with this wire 🤦‍♂️

I’ve refitted the original alternator. Still no charge. I’ve also checked resistance between the small connector on the little earth wire (disconnected) to the main starter bracket bolt, so resistance from the alternator to the block, and get 0.01ohm. So very little. 

what am I missing? I know the dash light works because I saw it with my own two blinkers the other day. 

every connection has been cleaned up. 

Your regulator sounds the ussuie. That black box is just to stop electrical noise, used to hear on the radio in the old days as you reved  engine.

Might have one off a 2.4 you can have for postage. Back Thursday will have a look for you. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Your regulator sounds the ussuie. That black box is just to stop electrical noise, used to hear on the radio in the old days as you reved  engine.

Might have one off a 2.4 you can have for postage. Back Thursday will have a look for you. 

The cable or the black thing? I’ve got the alternator on with the black thing at the moment…. 

Is the regulator the two pin thing with spring loaded contacts on? 

11 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

The cable or the black thing? I’ve got the alternator on with the black thing at the moment…. 

Is the regulator the two pin thing with spring loaded contacts on? 

Yes, it has the brushes in it, those are the two parts that stick out and iwoukd explain why niether alternator seems to function properly. Unless you can take it to a local alternator refurb place for testing? But that part is the common link and is the most common part to fail. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kr1s said:

Yours looks like the Bosch alternator - according to Haynes the regulator is a separate thing mounted on the wheelhouse, whatever that is.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Wheelhouse is the inner wing as we woukd call it and the earlier ones did have an external metal mousing regulator for sure.  But that Alternator has the regulator in it . 
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alanko/13027473 is most likely the right part, but we need the numbers off your alternator (original one that the regulator came out of) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

that Alternator has the regulator in it

Sorry, yes - should have looked at the photo more closely before posting 😞

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rebuilt mine, for alot less than a new one.  Replaced the voltage reg first, still had leak charge, fitted all parts, and now shows just south of 14v on the gauge, previously light was on, and gauge was showing below 12v.

I can send you the supplier, I just listed my alt part number. 

I didn't need to remove front pulley, some good vids on YouTube, not as complicated as it looks. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

So basically I need to get these alternators tested, but they might not be the right ones? Now I’m confused lol 

If your wiring goes from Alternator to a metal Can on the inner wing, then the Alternator should be of an external regulator.

If you have a wire going from B+ to Starter motors +Ve terminal, then up to Batter, and just smaller wire going straight to alternator (no other hardware external to the alternator) then the ones you have are correct.

But, if you can get your alternator tested, you should. You have 1 regulator that you are swapping between the 2 and neither work, so it is suspect. Regulators are the weak point in the alternator, then brushes, then stator.  However, the module you keep swapping has the brushes in it too, so a new part would most likely be the solution.

Both alternators have regulators on them and both aren’t working. I have a red wire on the starter motor so I think this is the later wiring loom. Also have electronic ignition. 

I am going to check the dash wiring, as the light isn’t illuminated when the ignition is switched on. Then get the alt tested. 

• Like 2

• Sutty2006 changed the title to 1976 B series coupe. Alternator fixed?

Someone on the dreaded Facebook mentions the bulb, and the bulb being part of a “circuit” to tell the alternator to do alternator things. I’d seen it working, once, but never again. 

so I pulled the dash top off and took the bulb out. I replaced it with a 5w instead of 3w, as I don’t have any 3w capless bulbs in stock. 

the result? 

It worked first turn of the key. The gauge is also working now, and miraculously the oil pressure gauge now works as it should.

and I have 13.9v on idle. 
I didn’t believe, but I gots to. I’m looking right at it! 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Ah, thought you said bulb was working in previous so skipped that 

It had done, once. Then stopped again. Which is what confused me thinking it was a wiring issue. 

1 hour ago, Sutty2006 said:

It had done, once. Then stopped again. Which is what confused me thinking it was a wiring issue. 

Yeah, I bet mate. Been in similar position with sensor setups on ECU setups, then turns out it was something that I had already checked/ruled out previously. 

Started rebuilding the brakes. 

hopefully new drums will be ordered this weekend for fitting next weekend. 

New cylinder

had to free the adjusters off

new shoes fitted. Ready for new drum 

• Sutty2006 changed the title to 1976 B series coupe. General work continues