V6 Hatch

paulmcclung

Still not decided what to do about the space where the power steering pump used to be. What about one of these on the v6? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...hlink:middle:uk

Anyone know what other mods to the engine would be required.

You would need to check the compression ratio of the V6, if over 9:1 then you would really need to be looking at reducing it to 9:1 or preferably lower.

Using an intercooler will help.

some sort of ignition retard system.

Oh heck can't think of all the stuff you need to look into, but basically not a simple bolt on with injection.

A simpler way would be to have 3 downdraught twin choke webers on top of a eaton type supercharger bolted in between the heads, but you would need one hell of a bonnet bulge for that

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finaly got a dry day. Sump is now all complete after a few more mods and got everything sitting where I want it to make up the engine mounts.

Started on the left one today. Just hope these will be suitable as I have never done anything like this before.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Nice to see my old V8 crop up on here again Pete.

As for a hood scoop I believe there is an interference towards the front of the V6 and the bonnet that causes the headache and an awkward area to make a bulge/scoop that would be fitting with the lines of the Manta's bonnet.

Engine mounts...

No disrespect here Mr. McClung But would suggest gussetting the engine mounts you have made.

In other words putting triangular sectons in between the bit that bolts against the block to the bit that bolts onto the rubber engine mount on the crossmember.

Basically if you have good penetrated welds (which you should have on what looks to be 3mm steel) then they will be really strong, but will be prone to cracking along the stress lines in the material along the weld seam due to the shrinkage of the steel around this area from the sheer physical process of welding coupled with the vibration and twisting force of an accelerating engine.

Adding "Gussets" should stop the load of any forces acting on the weld seam and the gussets will strengthen up to a HUGE extent the mounting bracket/s you have made.

Easy enough to do, downside is . . . . it can then be a bit of a bast to get a socket and wrench on to tighten up the mounting bolts. Or nuts even :thumbup

Edit:-

Just looked again at your pics, and look to be using some good thick steel and can see what you have done but would still try and put a bit more triangulated steel in there if poss, it does look tight to do this, but you will benefit from it in the long run, the V6 as you possibly well know is not a light lump and does create some damn good torque for the engine mounts to handle.

Started on the left one today. Just hope these will be suitable as I have never done anything like this before.

I'm no structural engineer so i could be wrong but I would say that needs some more bracing (or triangulation) otherwise there'll be an excessive amount of stress on that bottom weld

EDIT - D'oh, too slow, I see clive's already posted up a much better comment

Thanks Opel2000 and Christ. I was kind of hoping to get a response from some of the more engineering orientated people like yourself Opel2000. Sorry Christ I just realised how that sounded lol. All I mean is I have seen Opel2000's work up close.

I did think I needed some sort of bracing on the bottom but I am strugling with where exactly I should possition it so as not to interfere with either the chassis mounting point or the bolt holes for the base plate.

As for the Steel I am using I am not sure what it is but it does seem extremely strong. It is three mm thick as you mentioned but I am not sure if it has been tempered or something as the bench drill I am using struggled to get through it.

As for a hood scoop I believe there is an interference towards the front of the V6 and the bonnet that causes the headache and an awkward area to make a bulge/scoop that would be fitting with the lines of the Manta's bonnet.

You could not be more right on that one Clive as I found out the other day. I am having to work on the car outside at the moment so the bonnet has to go back on at the end of every session to keep things dry. I sat it on a little bit too quick last session and now have a nice outline on the bonnet showing where the scoop will need to be . Ahhh the joys of moving large chunks of 22 year old steel around by your self :hair ...

Thanks Opel2000 and Christ. I was kind of hoping to get a response from some of the more engineering orientated people like yourself Opel2000. Sorry Christ I just realised how that sounded lol. All I mean is I have seen Opel2000's work up close.

That's OK - I've seen opel2000's work up close and it is nearly as good as I can do

I would be tempted to move the chassis engine mount bracket so it's in line with where it attaches to the engine, that way you're reducing the stress to one direction

I know it's easier said than done though as you've got to think about manifold clearance and access to bolts

Are you using lubrication on the drill or got it on to higher speed?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...