V6 Hatch

paulmcclung

the spigot bearing sits inside the bit you're on about - between the gearbox input shaft and the rear of the crank, looks like this....

t5%2520cosworth%2520gearbox%2520spigot%2520bearing.jpg

sourcing a calibra flywheel might be eaier than trying to find somewhere to machine out the centre of your omega flywheel - depends on what equipment your local machine shops has got

before you get it done have you checked that the bolt holes on the omega flywheel line up with the ones in the end of the crank?

if the centre bore is different the bolts might be as well

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware it has to be a V6 flywheel but you can get them from Cavalier's, Vectra's and Calibra's. I think you can buy lightened ones from these places that advertise in the back of Total Vauxhall and the like.

Take a look at this one, he might sell you the flywheel if you ask.

ewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-2-5-V6-E ... dZViewItem

Well I have made a little progress today. I have made up some backing plates for engine mounts and have the engine sitting in place ready to measure up for the sump mods and to tack weld some mounts together. Engine looks lovely under there cant wait till its in for good.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Oh my God do I miss that car cry.gifcry.gif

Forgot just how much work I had put into that, and how much I saw the finished item in my mind for years before it actually came to being a finished real item sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Back on topic though.

That is looking damn cool Paul.

Must say that adding a bonnet bulge can really add a little something to a car "sometimes". Seen some not done well at all, and seen some that have been so well blended in and subtle that they really do become a oneness with the car.

Not sure yet if it will need a bonnet bulge.

Sat it in place yesterday to just experiment and see if any of the mounts I have collected would be any good but alas no. They would all have it sitting either way too hight or way too low.

It does look like I might be able to make my own mounts up at the right height and just clear the bonnet but I will have to see.

I am planning to step things up a gear pace wise and try to get a bit done every evening if possible. Need to get hold of the correct flywheel first though and try the engine in with the gearbox attached.

The gearbox is of course yet another problem I have yet to face due to using the omega 5 speed. I still dont know what will need to be modded to get this in.

Also Still not sure what I am going to do where the power steering pump used to be as obviously the belt will not fit without it. Any sugestions folks??

I took the power steering off the LET engine i have for the Mancona and the belt was too big so i wrapped a cable around the bottom pulley and the alternator then measured it.

It's a multi v belt and you can get them in i think 5 or 6 ribs and if you go to halfords i remember the code on the belt relating to the size in mm.

Or take it to your friendly local parts guy who will measure your cable and look up a suitable multi v belt.

Mine on the turbo ended up coming from a pug 803, a non aircon or power steering model ( i think )

hope thats what you were asking for

Cheers

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

Well a tiny wee bit more progress today. Finaly got a flywheel and clutch to fit on and also got the gearbox onto the engine ready to sit in place to make my mounts. Started modding the sump and should get this done tomorrow hopefuly as This is the first I have managed to get done since I said I was going to pick up the pace lol.

Just noticed this thread & I'm gonna keep tabs on it! Lookin good so far - can't wait to see pics of the finished article

Me too Buddy, very tempted to sell the CA engine and box that i was thinking of using and picking up a cheap running V6 engined Vaux to use for my project thanks to reading this project.

Well got stuck in for a few hours yesterday and got my sump modified. Now I know some of you on here are expert welders/fabricators but its prety new to me so no slaggin my welding although glad to hear any constructive comments.

Not an easy task with a home MIG to do what you have done there.

TBH looks very good Paul, at the end of the day it all it has to do is NOT leak.

Once finished, I would pour some solvent into the sump, as this is a bit more searching than oil and will show up any little holes that may need a go over with the MIG.

You shoould generally be able to see any holes or hairline unpenetrated areas of weld when grinding back, but not always the case, and it can be surprising that an area that looks superb can have a slight leak.

Superb project Paul :thumbup

Love the car. Still wanting to put a vee in mine. Can I ask have you moved the brake servo or does the engine fit around it? (can't see in the pics)

I know its a bit late, but if I had to buy a flywheel, I'd get a lightened billet one from somewhere like Courtenays. The loss of nearly 10 Kg makes a heck of a difference apparently. Warning - don't have the original lightened! It weakens them.

With your sump mods, have you left the crossmember alone? Theres no way I could cut and rewld mine as in that pic. Simply not enough room under my car!

Watching with interest!

It looks like it will clear the servo just fine. Master cylinder was a bit close but I am going to be changing this anyway for one with a resevoir suitable to feed the hydrolic clutch possibly the omega one not sure yet.

The flywheel I have anded up using is the standard omega V6 one. On advice I also have a LET flywheel which I was told is much lighter and would fit but it does not as there is a very slight difference in the bolt pattern. I can always change later to a lightened one but I can see better things to do with 249 quid at the minute .

It looks like I will get away without modifying the cross member which is just as well as like you there is no space under there. I have to get someone to lift the front end just to get a small trolly jack under her. If anything I might have to have a small bonnet bulge in which case I will need to get a fibre glass bonnet as I dont want to destroy any original manta parts during the build.

The LET flywheel should fit, but then you won't be able to use the Omega box as the V6 flywheels are 23mm thicker and the clutch won't work.

Like you I have to lift the front end to get a trolley jack in!

As you can see from my sig pic, I have a bonnet bulge/scoop made from a Pulsar GTiR item with the front cut out and remodeled. I suppose you could also fill it in for a 'normal' bulge. Wish I'd used a fibreglass bonnet as mine drooped slightly when I cut the hole and the back edge doesn't quite line up with the scuttle.

It looks like it will clear the servo just fine. Master cylinder was a bit close but I am going to be changing this anyway for one with a resevoir suitable to feed the hydrolic clutch possibly the omega one not sure yet.

The flywheel I have anded up using is the standard omega V6 one. On advice I also have a LET flywheel which I was told is much lighter and would fit but it does not as there is a very slight difference in the bolt pattern. I can always change later to a lightened one but I can see better things to do with 249 quid at the minute .

It looks like I will get away without modifying the cross member which is just as well as like you there is no space under there. I have to get someone to lift the front end just to get a small trolly jack under her. If anything I might have to have a small bonnet bulge in which case I will need to get a fibre glass bonnet as I dont want to destroy any original manta parts during the build.

Pretty sure Fiestas use a system where the brake reservoir doubles as the clutch reservoir. Dunno if it would be big enough though