Ball Joint Rubbers/ Gaiter Thingys

sean999

hi, just in the process of stripping the front end of my car to bits to repaint it.

having taken the front suspension completely off i need to replace a few items, but not sure where to get them from or what they are called to be honest.

firstly, on the hubcarrier there are what appear to be 2 ball joints, one upper and one lower. the bootom one seems to be fixed, while the upper unbolt from the wish bone. both have a rubber grease filled gaiter fiited to them. both of mine are knackered. are they still available, or will something else fit of another vehicle. where can i get hold of them and whats the propper name for them.

secondly, having removed the suspension i have great difficulty in removing the 2 large bolts that attach the suspension to the chassis rails where the rails "swan neck" there is a turret nut and split pin in them. the steel sleeves had rusted in and i have had to burn the bushes out to remove them. daft question, but again what are these bushes known as. dont want to sound a t#at when i contact the local car spares place.

cheers

sean999

from bitter personal experience I would heartily recommend that you buy a complete set of new ball joints

I stripped my front crossmember over christmas and new year, painted it all, new bushes etc and there appeared nothing wrong with the ball joints so I was planning on leaving them alone and refitting. even the rubber bits were all fine.

no way would they do back up, the shafts just span round when the nyloc section of the nut hit the threads. no amount of levering, clamping, grasping with every sort of grip wrench known to man would hold them firm enough

I drafted in help, got the car on its wheels to see if that helped but absolutely no go. 2 solid days I was at it.

Ended up having to take it all to bits again to fit new joints, burned all my nice new paint using heat to get the lowers out too

I used a first line set, in stock from Partco all in cost including VAT £70. went together first time and took minutes

Then I had to redo all the paint!

Carl :D

ok guys thats brilliant thanks.

anyone know what the bush is called that mount the front cross member/ wishbones etc to the chassis rails. the bush i am referring to is the one where it all bolts upto the chassis rail, where the rails "swan neck" it was a right pig to get out!

sean999

yes, thats the bit, we're on the same page!

talking of the ball joints, i have previously mentioned 2, on each of the hub carriers, one top (which unbolts from the top,) the bottom one which from memory has a 19mm nut on it seems to be pressed in, cant see any bolts etc. any ideas at to how this comes apart as i have to replace it. i can do the brute force and big hammer bit, but as yet haven't aquired a blow torch to heat things up.

sean999

Get a blowtorch, heat all around the lower joint until it's really really hot, get the arm in a big vice and hit it the top of the joint very hard with a big hammer.

Helps if you put the nut on the top gives you more to hit, works every time for me.

thanks, will try that, i've got a big vice, but still need to aquire the blow torch

sean999

Get a blowtorch, heat all around the lower joint until it's really really hot, get the arm in a big vice and hit it the top of the joint very hard with a big hammer.

Helps if you put the nut on the top gives you more to hit, works every time for me.