Non Starter

blacksun

Hi guys, I brought this up a while back but havent been able to fiddle with my car for ages. I just wanted to confirm a problem I have and its possible solutions.

Since i bought my 1800 manta it's been a bit touch and go as to whether it will start. You turn the ignition key and it would click or it would start. Seemingly randomly. A while after it had a new ne engine (there was a crack in the block) in it now wont click or start. It has started with the new engine in so its not the fresh engine thats the issue. Ive also had three of the black boxes on the column to see if it was that. Without any help.

The only thing that remains is a bad earth to the engine block or a dodgy coil. The battery is a fresh one and its still on the carb. I need it started soon as i drained the system to put a recored rad on and dont want to leave it half empty with coolant or it will go funny. But as i said i cant turn it over.

Any help or assistance would be greatly apperciated.

Dave

If the engine won't turn over its nothing to do with the coil, if it turns over (at a good speed) and still won't start it could be fuel or spark.

If she doesn't yurn over at all its something to do with the starter motor, now that could be any of several things.

The most obvious thing is the engine earth strap.

To check it get a jump lead and connect from battery neg terminal to engine block (or starter motor/block bolts), then try to start.

If it does then you have a bad/poor engine earth strap (or you haven't connected the jump lead to a good engine earth point!)

Remember the earth strap should be at least as good as the wire from the battery to the starter motor, not just a little piddley one

If it makes no difference you need to check that the ignition switch is putting power to the small wire on the back of the starter motor (black with a red stripe if i remember correctly)

unplug the wire and use a voltmeter and friend to check youre getting full battery voltage when turning the ign key

If you are but the starter still won't turn you need to remove the starter to test it directly, or replace it.

I'll try the earth as i cant see a lead at all earthing the engine. There must be one or it wouldnt have worked at all would it?

We tried a fresh starter on it after i bought the car. That was fun. Andy rutter came over to my parents and helped me fit it. I say helped, he did most of it to be fair. A lot of scraped knuckles as it was really not built to be removed. Especially as my car is so low.

I do get the lights on the dash and they do dim when i turn the key, and as i said it was working before which made me think it was something electric.

Im on my third ignition switch but it could be somewhere in between. The wiring is getting on. Is there any way i can test it without a voltmeter. Im a bit jobless at the moment so money is a bit tight. But it gives me time to play on the manta. Catch 21.

I'll give it a go.

Cheers matey

sounds like something is happening when you turn the key or the dash lights would not dim.obvious checks as all mentioned above like checking a voltage gets to small wire on starter(a test bulb will do if no meter available),checking battery terminal connections,earth lead, main power lead on starter,is battery charged? etc.if all tests show ok then it points to starter motor fault.

This is drastic, but the engine could have seazed!!! you say that it had a new engine recently and this could have gone 'tight'

Check the engine turns by moving it round with a spanner on the front pulley bolt, and make sure it turns freely ALL the way round.

The starter motor can be tested by taking a jump lead from the positive terminal of the battery and touching the other end on the possitive post and the solinoid terminal of the starter motor simultainiously. the same thing can be done with the starter motor off the car,take a tight grip of it,stand it on the negative terminal of the battery and do the same thing with jump lead and terminals on the starter.

i had the same problem when i changed a 1800 engine , fired up once and ran briefly , closed it down and tried again , it was really sluggish to turn or would just click , i had put all the relevent earths on , turned out the very light corrosion on the surface of the block , box and the end of the earth lead was the problem , cleaned up all the contact faces refitted the earth and it started like a good un.

that was just mine but who knows? oh it was the earth that runs on the drivers side underneath ftom the engine & box to the chassis rail

i had the same problem when i changed a 1800 engine , fired up once and ran briefly , closed it down and tried again , it was really sluggish to turn or would just click , i had put all the relevent earths on , turned out the very light corrosion on the surface of the block , box and the end of the earth lead was the problem , cleaned up all the contact faces refitted the earth and it started like a good un.

that was just mine but who knows? oh it was the earth that runs on the drivers side underneath ftom the engine & box to the chassis rail

That was what i was looking for. I'll get the jack out and have a look under the car. No wonder i couldnt see it from the top. Ive been looking for the engine strap for ages.

It still turns ok. its just that it clicks. Or rather did click now its dead. The lights are on on the dash. I shall check the battery possitive lead as well. Earth strap on the battery is fresh. Shall check its got good contact. It was just that it used to be intermittant and now nothing. I shall buy a tester, one of those pen types should do that electricians use.

I shall also try the direct live to the starter. With my hands away from everything of course. I really dont want to have to take it off the car if i dont have to.

Cheers guys thanks for the help.