Heater Blowing Cold

mantacrazy22

Sounds like an airlock ;) Another way to bleed the system? take off the rad-cap, leave the engine/heaters running massage the water pipes (watch your fingers).

GL

Keith

[edit] it should heat up after 5-10mins. If the needle has always stayed on the blue?

(1) Faulty termostat connection;

(wire connected to termo housing is loose or faulty connector)

(2) Clock is faulty.

(3) The termostat is missing.

My gut feeling is; there is no termostat. People normally remove termostats because

there is issues with the cylinder head gasket.

Edited by keith1200

I had this problem. Everything ok on the car and heater blowing cold. The matrix is slightly higher than the top of the radiator so airlocks go into the heater matrix.

The solution.......i jacked up the front of the car so that the radiator filler was higher and filled the system using a hose pipe. Flush the system the opposite way to the flow before filling and this will push out any muck.

HTH

Chris

The Heater Matrix could be blocked.

I had this on my 1976 B series,the Matrix was all but blocked sold with orange/brown silt.

I took the Matrix out which involved removing the carb,cant remember if there is enough space to get it out past an injection manifold,it took about half an hour under the tap to flush out all the silt.

You could try flushing the Matrix in situ with a hose pipe but be carefull not to get the water into the electrics etc.

Or you could just give up.

I've had my car 20 years and in all that time the heater has been only slightly more effective than a lit Swan Vestas floating in a mug of cold water.

Changed pipes, matrix, rad, flushed system, bled system, pulled out heater vents, checked for blockages, fiddled with heater cable controls, run with/without 'stat, used different temp. rated 'stats, you name it.

I just wear a sheepskin coat in winter like an Edwardian motorist. Some cars just seem to be like that. My other car is OK, though hardly tropical the heater is a bit more enthusiastic.

Good luck.

BJ

Or you could just give up.

I've had my car 20 years and in all that time the heater has been only slightly more effective than a lit Swan Vestas floating in a mug of cold water.

Changed pipes, matrix, rad, flushed system, bled system, pulled out heater vents, checked for blockages, fiddled with heater cable controls, run with/without 'stat, used different temp. rated 'stats, you name it.

I just wear a sheepskin coat in winter like an Edwardian motorist. Some cars just seem to be like that. My other car is OK, though hardly tropical the heater is a bit more enthusiastic.

Good luck.

BJ

have you tried a new waterpump :P

Manta heaters work well and efficient.

As already written, jack up front of car to ensure filler neck of rad is higher than heater matrix, run engine and repeat.

Check heater matrix is not stuffed and blocked etc.

Check that the flaps that control the switching between cool and warm air are adjusted properly, you could have a good heater working well but only getting half the benefit due to flaps not closing properly.

Always use anti-freeze / Summer coolant as itstops fur and shit building up in things like Thermostat housings and heater rads and keeps everything efficient.

I've not had a Manta with a bad heater yet, cos I simply make sure all is well..........

have you tried a new waterpump :P

Yes, I forgot to say I've done that too(twice). And use good quality antifreeze, changed regularly, year round, and backflush the system regularly. Have also tried the power of prayer. Happy for everyone who says they've never had a bad heater yet but long ago gave up worrying about mine.

BJ

Edited by Brown Job