Cheap Insurance

mantaboy89

does anyone know of a cheap insurance company? i just cant seem to find a cheap premium as i am only 20, and due to being a named driver onanother policy ahve no ncb. has anyone got any ideas of who i can try as ive done all the comparison sights already?

thanks

josh

I used Kwikfit for my daughter when she first passed her test age 19 - TPFT was £ 950 with me as a named driver it bought her premium down by a couple of hundred so if either of your parents are obliging I would give that a try - redo your quote on the comparison sites with the additional driver and see how it comes out. two years later she is paying £ 400 quid for the same cover so once you get a couple of years NCB it gets better.

Good luck :thumbup

It really depends on several factors who'll be the best insurers. The persons age and no claims driving years, the car itself (if it's a manta then classic car/limited mileage discounts) only mention external and obvious modifications (most people ain't got a clue what's under their bonnet!), so don't let mechanical knowledge hinder a good quote that a clueless joe average wouldn't have known what's standard and what isn't. Also quite important is the area you live, postcodes make a massive difference so it's no good taking a suggestion from someone who lives in a £600k house in Hertfordshire when you live next to a council estate in Mansfield. What's cheap for one person, car, area is a rip off for another.

When I was 20, I drove a Manta GTE hatch (given they were worth about £300 then) had 3 years no claims and in an area with the average house price is £1/4 million and I was still paying £2000 a year!!!

only mention external and obvious modifications (most people ain't got a clue what's under their bonnet!), so don't let mechanical knowledge hinder a good quote that a clueless joe average wouldn't have known what's standard and what isn't.

Dont be such a cock Rick.

Declare all mods to your insurance or you will find it becomes invalid when you need to claim.

Yes the spotty ten year old on the end of the phone doesn't understand your car. But the highly paid insurance investiagtor, paid so insurance companies do not have to pay out, will know enough to put a stop to your claim and land you in a lot of trouble with the law.

Dare I say I'm an insurance underwriter (although been 20 years since I was in the private car market), but I would suggest find a good local insurance broker in your area and let them do the hard work for you.

These price comparison sights are all well and good, but a lot of insurers don't subscribe to them, and you'd do better using the knowledge of a broker to sort you out a good price. Although to be fare, at your age it is never gonna be cheap! When I was 17 I paid £194 a year TPF&T on my first car, but that was a 1977 Vauxhall Viva. These days everyone wants a new expensive car for their first car, and insurance don't come cheap anymore because lots of people try and rip of the insurance companies believe it or not, so everyone has to pay for the muppets who try and make a quick buck.

Sorry but that's how it is. Good luck.

Dave

Dont be such a cock Rick.

Declare all mods to your insurance or you will find it becomes invalid when you need to claim.

Yes the spotty ten year old on the end of the phone doesn't understand your car. But the highly paid insurance investiagtor, paid so insurance companies do not have to pay out, will know enough to put a stop to your claim and land you in a lot of trouble with the law.

I'd like to see you call me a cock in person, it wouldn't be trouble with the law you'd have to worry about!

Like an insurance assessor will know what camshaft or valve size is standard to the car, plus most people driving old cars that have had engine work don't know they have oversize pistons, non standard air intakes or exhausts, plenty of supposedly original cars with this stuff. If there's a supercharger sticking out of the bonnet, you'd be best to declare it but then if you're having trouble finding a cheap enough quote, you can't really have this sort of thing on your car anyway, some hot spark plugs I think you'd get away with somehow.

Rick, you should never advise anyone to miss lead an insurance company. It is just not worth the risk.

As for calling you a cock. Of course i'd say it to your face. If you want to continue this please do so in private and PM me.

I dont need to prove myself, i've done that thanks.

What does that mean? I think an ego filter is needed on here :rolleyes:

Really all you can do is just ring around, dont some insurance companies offer a bit of discount if you have been named on a policy and not made any claims? Ive never really had an insurance cost issue due to where i live its probably near the lowest crime rating and all that.

I agree its not worth not declaring modifications but ive just had a guy come and assess my vectra after it got destroyed by another driver and he had no idea about cars, its a standard gsi but could of had a 3.0 under the bonnet for as much as he looked into it. The other side of the coin is so many people are trying to scam insurance now they look into things intensively sometimes.

Maybe people could point you in the right direction if you told us a bit about the car your trying to insure? What it is, Any modifications etc?

^ I don't really know what that means either, first he's calling me a cock, now he's trying to tell me what to do. Last bloke that did that ## EGO FILTER ## EGO FILTER ## know what I mean?

Almost every young person including most of you, has had to 'mislead' their insurers FACT! Being a named driver on a parents or another persons policy on a car that is really either owned or used more by the young person also invalidates the policy. A named driver is someone who less frequently uses the insured vehicle, yet this is the only way many people who live in certain areas, are young and inexperienced or own a decent car can obtain insurance for their car (but it's not their car according to the insurers). So if anyone thinks it's wrong of me to suggest you shouldn't be silly with mentioning any inobvious changes, you'd be bloody shocked what cover 90% of younger people have to drive on. I'm also pretty certain that most of us have driven as a named driver on a car that you used all or most of the time, but hey at least you told them about your chrome valve caps and fluffy dice!

It's odd how any of the other things I mentioned above go without comment, yet something which is purely a tip and someone disagrees and gets stupid. So incase you missed the point entirely the first time I posted it; You will not get a good suggestion for an insurer unless you mention:-

1) You - Age, job, years driving

2) The Car - Make, model, value, performance and (dare I say it) any major modifications

3) Where you live - Area, owned, rented with driveway or garage

With that information anyone who has the same car and has similar details to you can suggest a company that gave them a good quote. Otherwise, you're just get a list of other peoples insurance companies that chances are won't be any good to you. If you think that's wrong or too hard to understand then let me know I'm wasting my time instead of insulting me from the safety of being out of reach. In fact I am wasting my time, perhaps I've been on this site too much and for too long.

Edited by Rick-Manta

I don't think cheap insurance exists anymore due to the people who claim a fortune after a minor incident ( oh my neck really hurts) again and again and again, i was hit by another driver and sent to the independent doctor who asked me how i was. I'm ok i said.. are you sure he said... yep, no problems i said... that's unusual he said as everyone says they can't drive or sleep when they come to me, he said... ambulance chasers and no win no fee have screwed the lot of us. bank charges will be next due to the scrounge back boys, just notice the amount of no win no fee outfits you see when driving through certain areas and you know who's driving insurance up without having insurance :ph34r: