Engine Swap?

*energy*

Non injection so straight forward, take radiator (if size different) and exhaust too

Down sides:

• DVLA may require proof of CC before issuing logbook with new details
  • Insurance

Consider getting a 5 speed box and manta centre console wwhile at it, you may save some fuel.

Oh and the 6 clock dash is easy to fit by moving the pins from one hole to another and add 2 wires for rev counter, optional extra wirs for oil sender which will probably not work ;)

thanks bud.is it a job worth doing tho?is there much performance difference between the two?my wee 1600 runs fine,but thought a 2000 could make it a bit more fun to drive?

thanks

1600 Economy - 57 BHP (same as Opel Kadett 12S) Designed to run on 2 Star

1600S - 77 BHP

I forget my exact figures but you are looking around 100 BHP which is about +30%

Yep, the Opel engine was always better 1196cc - 51BHP and S engine 57, read 'em and weep ;)

Speaking as one who's owned and driven both, the 2000 is a quantum leap better to drive and performs far better (less economy, of course.) BUT ... there are not very many Cav Mk 1 of any kind left on the road now. Unless the 2000 you have is a basket case body-wise and not worth restoring, please have a think before "destroying" the car for its engine. Cars only get to be "original" once in their lives!

BJ

Unless the 2000 you have is a basket case body-wise and not worth restoring, please have a think before "destroying" the car for its engine.

Naaaa, slice it up, it's not like you're breaking up a breeding pair they are doomed for extinction anyway ;)

reality.jpg

you see this is my problem,iv basicly bought the 2000 car as i want parts of it to make mines perfect as some of my parts are dameged(rear bumper,chrome trims)so i was going to swap the parts over so i have my yellow one mint and the way i want it,and sell the 2000 car on to someone who wants a project(i dont...iv just finished the yellow one)but on the other had i would like to take the 2litre engine and rebuild it for my car,and sell the other car as a rolling project...or just completly break it and scrap the shell which would be a shame as the car realy doesnt need much to be put right,its fairly solid etc.

supose it just comes down to if anyone wants to buy it for my asking price etc...if not then iv no option but to strip the car bare and weigh in the shell.

Hi Rab

I hope you don't mind me expressing my thoughts on your thread.

I completely understand your point. Swaping over parts, is a good idea. What about posting an ad to see if anyone in Scotland has a spare 2.0L, then selling the 2000 as an on going project? You'll make a wee bit more breaking the car up(in my opinion)! but is it worth the hassle, of having to package and post parts? and that's if you can find buyers for all the bits and bobs. I realise everyone is different but I'd rather spend the time in the garage than at the post office :D:P

A slightly more expensive route: redtop your 1.6 or get a 6 cylinder engine. If you went down that route, you could also spend a wee bit on polishing/porting etc (depending on funds).

Hire an engine lift, pull both engines and boxes complete and do the swap like that, side by side.

Leave both runnign, swap your bits over and call it done.

The ROI on reduilding one of these CIH lumps isn't great as opposed to what is available off the shelf in C20XE / 1.8 or 2.0 Family II or Ecotec

Take the cheap joy where you find it

ye i could buy another engine...but i can hear this one running and drive it.i would much rather stick with a cih engine as its what they came with,i do love the thought of a redtop but id rather keep it original looking.sure a redtop would cost me a fortune to buy,convert and rebuild anyway.if i was to go modern engine i would want a 2litre 8v sri 130 engine.

i will most likely try sell the other car as a rolling project...complete without an engine,engine would no doubt be ripped out by a new owner anyway to put an xe etc in.