Please Make Sure You Read Our Recent Announcement

stoo2000

How many parts does the 'vauxhall' dealership hold for manta's and the parts they do hold appear to be inflated in price to cover the anticipated discount, and I own a lot of magazines and your pamphlet could hardly be discribed as a magazine. As far as making a fool of myself I dont think asking the questions and raising the points I have is hardly that. It would appear the stories of the mantaclub are right. Pay membership or F##K OFF

Belta

If the whole forum (paid for out of club funds) was open to you as a non-member Stu, would you be any more or less likely to join the OMOC?

I'd also like to say we're not the only club who restrict access to parts of our website, ones I know of include the Autobahnstormers and Marina Ownres Club who's forums are totally members only, the MGOC have quite a large site with no obvious forum, and all technical and buying advice must be paid for if you're not a member. I'm sure there are plenty of others as well, but these are one's I've come across in the past.

I'd also like to mention a couple more benefits of club membership. One is agreed valuations, the club reps will provide valuations on members cars for free, another service is letters confirming the build date of cars for historic tax purposes. Obviously this one doesn't apply to everyone, but I have managed to prove several Mantas were built pre January 73 and provided letters for the owners to take to the DVLA and have the tax class changed.

There will always be allegations of cliques in any group whether it's a paid up club like this one, or a free group like Retro Rides for example, it's human nature. The answer is join the clique! When I first joined this club all the clique allegations were there, I joined, went to a pub meet, met the area rep and some members and integrated. I went on other club events and met other area members and spoke to them. Any club is what you make it, and the more you put in the more you get out, and if you don't want to be part of it then that's your choice, but it's a shame.

Obviously the club would like everyone who has a Manta or rwd Ascona/Cavalier to be a member but this isn't going to happen. If you don't feel what i on offer for the money is worth it to you then you don't have to join. Just be grateful that those that do are wiling to pay for this site so you can get something at least out of it.

• Like 2

Linkman - You've come on here deliberately to wind folk up so I suggest you stop trolling or take your own advice and f##k off. Every forum has someone like you and it's boring.

I'm a member of various car clubs and they are all run in a similar way and EVERY car club can seem cliquey when you first join, it's up to new users to make a worthwhile contribution, just coming here to be an ar se (like yourself) will get everyone's back up, make them hostile towards you and of course it will seem cliquey.

The Manta club is actually full of very knowledgeable and friendly members who I've found will go out of their way to help fellow enthusiasts, I reckon that's worth the membership fee alone.

• Like 3

Linkman - You've come on here deliberately to wind folk up so I suggest you stop trolling or take your own advice and f##k off. Every forum has someone like you and it's boring.

I'm a member of various car clubs and they are all run in a similar way and EVERY car club can seem cliquey when you first join, it's up to new users to make a worthwhile contribution, just coming here to be an ar se (like yourself) will get everyone's back up, make them hostile towards you and of course it will seem cliquey.

The Manta club is actually full of very knowledgeable and friendly members who I've found will go out of their way to help fellow enthusiasts, I reckon that's worth the membership fee alone.

well said!

your last sentence has been my experience entirely.

• Like 1

thats not the case at all, I am just saying I would be more inclined to sign up if their was more on offer. Discount on parts is fine if it is a genuine discount but I got quoted £90 for 2 track rod ends from a dealer that I can buy elsewhere for less than £30, that negates any discount offered does it not ?.

I would have hoped the preservation of the mark was the main aim of an owners club over anything else, I completely agree that membership should carry a reward but shouldnt it be an xtra reward and not just non restricted access ??

I am a member of several forums and I am afraid yours is the only one who charges a membership fee for what I would describe as 'normal' access

And if you techy lot are that easy to wind up you need another pint :wacko:

Edited by linkman72

I am a member of several forums and I am afraid yours is the only one who charges a membership fee for what I would describe as 'normal' access

Out of 8 car forums I use, 6 charge a membership fee which gives access to the full site including "for sale" and "technical" sections so you are talking rubbish, it's a common thing and the Manta club gives decent value for money in my opinion, £2 a month is nothing.

As for being a techy lot, stop being a dick and you might find people are a bit nicer, as I said earlier, there's always someone like you who likes to wind folk up, god knows why you feel the need to do that. If you find the club not to your liking then please feel free to stop posting and go elsewhere (or alternatively make a positive contribution, join in the discussions in a friendly manner and find that it's actually not a cliquey place but a helpful and informative forum dedicated to a cracking motor)

thats not the case at all, I am just saying I would be more inclined to sign up if their was more on offer. Discount on parts is fine if it is a genuine discount but I got quoted £90 for 2 track rod ends from a dealer that I can buy elsewhere for less than £30, that negates any discount offered does it not ?.

I would have hoped the preservation of the mark was the main aim of an owners club over anything else, I completely agree that membership should carry a reward but shouldnt it be an xtra reward and not just non restricted access ??

I pay my £25 a year because I like being part of a club that has made me some very good friends. Infact, I now go abroad every year to other manta shows with manta folk and stay with them for a few days! Gettin a mag and other little bits is just a PERK in my view. Open your wallet, pay the £25 membership and start enjoying your hobby!!!!!!!

Having been a full club member for a couple of years i find the forum the most prized of all the members perks. I'd happily pay my member fee just for the advise and tech help available here. Without the forums i'd never of found some of the parts i've needed.

The trade club card is also a very useful tool and although some things can be brought cheaper via a motor factors some of it can't ie batteries and genuine service parts (filters, coolant, oil, plugs etc). if i was to count up the savings i made last year using the card i know it would cover the club member fees easily.

The way members now get to see ad's first is a brillant idea, im very happy with the club and will deffo be signing up again next year. Who knows i may even get my car finished and finally get to go to a few more shows !!

Linkman72 was making very valied points without being rude or insulting to anyone, so for MSJRB5 to accuse such really needs to go away and give his head a shake !!

As I posted nigh on twelve months since (if certain folk were on this site then ), just look at the 406.com site!!!!

TOTALLY FREE and gives out just as much relevant info regarding the 406 as this site does about Mantas.

So why can that manage to be free (and have more action ) whereas this site wants to be paid for ?????? I could also picks lots of others as well that are FREE, as I suppose others could pick paying sites!

What I will put to you is this...........................Do you /have you EVER downloaded music or vids off the net without paying for them ????

If the answer is YES , then you can't honestly justify the paying for info from this site. Same thing !!!!!

This website, for the most part is free for everyone to use although the club does pay certain cost towards it. We restrict a few sections to paid up members of the club, nothing different to most other forums. The "for sale" area is restricted for the firsk week of an add being posted, again it's to give paid up members a heads up on whats advertised on their forum before they're offered to everyone else. As for all other areas, you can join up as a user and post away. For example, if you want to sell something, you don't have to make 50 posts first.

To be a member of the club is £25.00 per year if you want to join the club, it's £25.00. Being in a club, you need more than a "what do i get" mentality. Members of the club do get materialistic things (if thats you bag) like a superb quarterly club magazine but it's more than that. Being in our is about contacts, friendship based on a common interest, people to call if you need advice and indeed, to offer advice if asked. Most of all, it's about all the laughs we all have with each other, be it at Billing, pub meets, the AGM's the NEC and even in each other garages. Most of us would never had met if we had no club. Bear in mind the club started well before the internet and social networking. This club allows people to keep in touch. I'm not saying other forums don't have that but being a club, we most certainly do.

Finally, i'm not interested in what other websites do, most of which are just internet based. I've been on other sites where people swear at each other, take the pee out of each etc. that's not what we do on here, maybe the reason we don't act like that on here is because we're a CLUB

If this all sounds airy fairy, utopic etc. it's supposed to.

• Like 3

Linkman72 was making very valied points without being rude or insulting to anyone, so for MSJRB5 to accuse such really needs to go away and give his head a shake !!

Bollox, he came on here deliberately to wind people up but there's no surprise that you would be defending a troll is there?? I said earlier that there's always one person like that on every forum, I forgot about you , there's actually 2 on here, give your own head a shake.

Bollox, he came on here deliberately to wind people up but there's no surprise that you would be defending a troll is there?? I said earlier that there's always one person like that on every forum, I forgot about you , there's actually 2 on here, give your own head a shake.

Coming from Aberdeen myself I even read the above response with an Aberdeen accent - quality.

Then I thought - oh shit here is me! the 15 quid member, its not true, Aberdonians are not tight. :)

I think I will probably go back to being a 25 quid member next time round as the web member access isn't quite what its set out to be...

"full forum access" thats not quite right as I used to be able to get into an area on this site where I could download copies of Manta Magic and other information like AGM minutes

The other benifits of being a full member are probably worth the extra tenner if only the postage cost in sending me a hard copy of MM

Web Membership

£15 per year - Sign up now!

• Full Forum Access.
  • Access to classified adverts as they are posted.
  • Forum signature. (1 line of plane text)
  • Please note: A web account only gives access to the forum, It does not give membership to the club or allow the use of members benefits.
  • A web account does not cover the holder to show there car at any club organised events, Club liability insurance is not available for this type of account.
  • The web account does not entitle the user to vote at the AGM or attend the AGM

Edited by opelmantagsi
  • Like 1