1980 Sr Berlinetta Hatch By Stradacab

stradacab

Well, now EJO has some top of the range ICE (for 1981 anyway) This unit boasts such state of the art features as digital display, cassette with auto-reverse, dolby NR and a massive 23w per channel output driven by a separate amplifier! This must have been really living back in the day.

I’ve always fitted period radio’s in my cars, a modern unit staring out the dash just doesn’t do it for me. This one was picked up off ebay a while back. I had never tested it so I fitted it and hoped I wasn’t wasting my time!

My original idea was to fit the factory speakers in the correct place, I even sourced some correct grilles, but the odd size proved impossible to source and I didn’t want second hand paper cones that would have degraded by now. The next best thing was a new set which will sound better anyway. Four inch ones would go in there so I found a current brand new set of Clarion 10cm’s, they have had to be been fitted a littel bit further back to clear the seat belt slot. I could have done away with the slots but I mught want to fit belts later on.

Best thing is they almost perfectly match the head unit in a retro way so I think it actually looks more in keeping with how an aftermarket stereo would have looked if fitted in period.

Because the rear speakers in a hatch use the air in the boot, they sound really good. I’ll be bangin’ out some choons on me way to Billing now!

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by stradacab

The hatch always had a better sound than the coupe due to, like you say, the massive boot space. Still have the original period Alpine head and amp I fitted to my hatch in '91. Maybe one day I will bring myself to cutting the holes in the parcel shelf to fit the period Infinity speakers. Really looking forward to seeing this hatch in the flesh. :thumbup

Did you manage to get the roll bar vertical links replaced or are you going for the lowered front suspension look for Billing :)

See you at Castle Combe this Saturday, don't forget there's a classic car show/vintage vehicle show at Coalpit Heath on Sunday 1st July.

Links are done! Started polishing and claying the paintwork ready for Billing

I have a new problem.... went to take it out tonight and noticed smell of fuel and patch on the drive. It's dripping off the panhard rod so I'm hoping it is not a porus tank as it was Ziebarted. I couldn't get under tonight but HOPE it is one of the rubber pipes perished. Typical I filled the tank last night! I have put a tray underneath it to catch the drips and I'll jack it up tomorrow and rely on the weather not raining again.

Fixed the problem- not fun!

Put the car on stands, thankfully it is just the rubber pipe. Started to undo the jubilee clips and the pipe cracks off completley from the tank end! Very perished.

So there I am, one finger on the fuel tank outlet (which is p*ssing perol) one hand trying to hold the jubilee clip and one hand trying to undo the rusty screws in said clip. That's right, three hands, petrol dripping everywhere and all over my clothes.

Been down to Ades place this morning and changed the tyres to the new rims. All balanced which makes it much smoother on the road. I used stick-on weights on the inside to prevent damaging the paint and havng nasty lumps of lead on the outside.

BEFORE

IMG_0403.jpg

AFTER

IMG_0405.jpg

Although, because the weather is so crap, the pics don't really do it justice. They look superb in the flesh!!

Now if only it will stop raining I might be able to finish cleaning the car!