1980 Sr Berlinetta Hatch By Stradacab

stradacab

To cut a long (and not that interesting) story short, I've purchased a 1980 SR Berlinetta! Some of you may have seen it for sale on eBay.

I tried so hard not to buy it for nearly two months, but a journey past Exeter on my way back from Salcome meant it was only 10 miles out of my way in Sidmouth......and I was only going for a look........

I've aways had "fellings" for the hatch and regret selling my GTE hatch 4 years ago (B811 VHT). The main reason for this one was it had been Ziebarted from new and was a one owner car until he sadly deceased in September last year.

DSCF5274.jpg

I'll treat it to a rolling resto on the odds and sods that need doing, it will be at Billing and I'll smoke it around this season before fitting arch, wings and having the sides painted in winter. It needs the rear panel and bumper straightening out, N/S arch repair 2 wings and the front tidying up.

First up is the front, previous repairs have meant that the valence is rotten through as are the wing bottoms. It had been black stone chipped which spoils the look at front

DSCF5311.jpg

I have a pattern valence and two wings in stock (but the wings won't be fitted yet to keep colour)

Off!

DSCF5313.jpg

And new one offered up, I will have to take the wings off completley to repair the nose cone under-shields because about two inches of it has gone

DSCF5319.jpg

I'll have to tack some "L" plates on to the remains of the bottom of the wings for now, and it will be finished off with a lower spoiler (which will hide most of the remaining damage to the wings)

So I have let the repair panel in tonight but the inner wing that meets it is rotten too. I have chopped that out and spent the entire night cutting and shaping a new piece of steel.

Isn't it funny how a simple job like replacing the valence to fit a spoiler has grown into repairs to nose cone and both inner wing fronts? Oh, and there are holes in the inner wing tops by the "A" post so that'll need doing too........................

Here's a couple of shots of the OS inner wing rust cut out and the repair plate I made to meet the new part on the nose cone. This is the second side which was not as bad as the NS one but same repair basically

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

The pattern valence welded on and primed/ painted. I rubbed it down and did it again as the finish showed some sanding marks in the top coat so it needs laquering tomorrow, and then the spoiler I painted 2 weeks ago loosley bolted up to check for fit

IMG_0286.jpg

Have to make some temporary repairs to the rotten wings, would really like to go ahead and fit replacements but this is a rolling resto and it wont go to paint til the end of the year so I'll have to wait. Hopefullt the big reveal when finished later this week!

Finished tonight.

Wings refitted (after welding on bodge plates) "mouth" painted in anthracite, bumper refitted and I have replaced the incorrect black nose trim with a stainless one from stock and a nice silver blitz to match.

I reckon it tidies up the front a lot if you compare it to the before pic below

IMG_0304.jpg

DSCF5311.jpg

Showing it this weekend so a wash and polish will make it look good. Next job is to do something with the wheels and continue to tart it up for Billing beofre the proper work starts at the end of the year.

Edited by stradacab
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies, yes I'm pretty proud of it. The spoiler really balances the front end off I reckon

Next on the rolling resto list is straightening and refitting the biffed back bumper, anyone got two side brackets for a hatch?!!

Nice! I think I'd seen the front pic before but never realised it was a hatch til you mentioned it in this thread. Interesting that the correct front badge should be black, reckon I'll paint mine and change it back. Also, who blacked out the rear panel, was that you? and what year did you own it?

Interesting you mention the back panel as I always thought it was standard. Perhaps it was an optional extra? I know it was standard on the Cav Sports Hatch. I owned this one way back in 1991. Wish I stil had her to be honest. She was a lot more solid than the GTE that replaced her!

I reckon the back panel looks nice in satin black against the silver.

Could be worth a try with a rattle can whilst the back bumper is off for the panel fettling.

I prefer it silver as it makes it Opel rather than Vauxhall, I know there are a lot of differences on the back but the black panel is for Cavs in my opinon.. :)

Edited by Mick

After a great day today up at Berkeley Castle with the guys I though I would turn may attention to the back end of EJO.

The pic shows that the ns of the bumper is pushed up and in close to the light, while on the OS the corner bracket is missing (fortunately someone has chucked it in the spare wheel well) Panel is pushed in on both sides and has some rust where the paint has split and obviously the brackets are bent too.

IMG_0320.jpg

So a combination of wood block and sledge, hammer and drift and slide hammer I have got the NS perfect, the OS was stuffed so I've got it in the right place I can't get to the back to shrink the dents out. This will need a proper repair when I have the car painted next year.

IMG_0322.jpg

Most of the damage is hidden so I'll do a bit of paint to stop the rust and that will have to do.

IMG_0321.jpg

Normally you just refit the bumper, but this one seems to have hit a post and it twisted so instead of following the curve of the body, it goes the oppsosite way! My idea was the bend it back but I have a spare coupe bumper in stock. Now we all know that the coupe and hatch bumpers are different (thats one of the first things they teach you in Manta college) but I wondered if the actual bar was the same......and it is! So I just need to swap the bumper cover over on to a spare bar.

That's all for tonight

I have finished repairing the brackets and changed over the covers tonight and rebuilt the bumper (brackets, end brackets, fog light etc) ready to refit.

Primed the panel but rain stopped play- damn not having a garage to work in!

I have managed to get the rear panel painted and laquered to hide the worst of the damage. Refitted the refurbished bumper and lined it all up. Makes the rear loook much tidier.

IMG_4887.jpg

I have also fitted a period radio (amp. aerial etc) as it never had one from new- (need some company on the long drive to Billing) and picked up some other jobs like headlamp motors not working, bonnet needed realigning, mirror mounts satin blacked)

Next job is getting some ATS Classics refurbed to complete the tarting up ready for July. Then it needs a MASSIVE clean and polish. Watch this space

• 2 weeks later...

Not really part of the project but thought I'd post this for a laugh. We went to Longleat on Saturday and I decided to trundle down in EJO.

There's nothing like driving throught the lion enclosure with your family in a 30 year old car to which you have done no mechanical work to increase the levels of jeopardy!

IMG_4922.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

(All trim still intact despite them having a go at the rear wiper and a chew on the front windscreen rubber)

IMG_4941.jpg

Edited by stradacab