New Member From Derby

Ben_g40

Hi all,

If all goes to plan I'll be flying to Scotland to pick up a Manta GT on Monday.

Does anyone know anything about the car? Reg is B951 RVG.

Really looking forward to picking it up!

Hopefully will be able to get to know a few of you on here!

Ben

• Like 1

Lived in Derby (well Denby) in 1993/94, drove HGVs delivering coal to people's homes.....knocked a lot of rear view mirrors off people's cars on your narrow streets lol

Never hit or even saw a manta in my time there though!?

Anyway sounds like an adventure ahead of you hope you make it home :)

Edited by GTREA

Thank for the welcome people. Just en route back (200 miles to go). There's a fair few issues with the old gal but nothing that's unsolvable. Blue smoke on start up is my main worry but that was advertised so can't complain. It has an aftermarket water gauge which seems to go above 100 degrees which is also concerning. When I came out of the services there was a small puddle which looks as though it had come from the radiator overflow! Has it been overfilled or have I got issues. As long as it gets me home I'll be happy! Fingers crossed!

Original temp doesn't register at all but the fuel gauge seems ok if not a tad high. Temp seems to be speed related. 65mph = 105-110 degrees 50mph = 85-90 degrees Appears to be very little heat coming through as well! Water pump problem? I'm going to be stripping down on Wednesday and having a look.

Hi Ben, and welcome to THE place for all things Manta!

Glad you made it back OK, as for the 'faults' think your going to need to give everything a good going through, the smoke on start-up as long as it isn't clouds and it settles down then it'll be allright, the water system could need a good flush through,the heater matrix often becomes solid with red/brown sludge,the temperature guage reading may be high because it's the wrong voltage range for a Manta and the original probably has a wiring fault though Manta's do get a problem with the voltage regulator which supplies the minor guages but then i'd expect the fuel guage etc not to work as well.

Right, now we need plenty of photo's of this Manta inside,underneath,engine and of course 'glamour' shots ! (put them on a photobucket or such like account and link them to your post on this thread)

To be honest it is a pretty big cloud and there is probably a trail when in driving. It used about 1/3 of a litre on the drive home.

I've got a few pics for now. Will get some more tomorrow.

It needs a real good polish as its 3 shades of red at the moment.

null.jpg

null-7.jpg

null-6.jpg

null-5.jpg

null-4.jpg

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. I'll get some more up from a decent camera when I start a project thread.

Ben

Just had someone to follow me and been told there's a constant trail of blue smoke. I was planning on stripping the head tomorrow. Is this worthwhile or is it going to be rings gone? If I need to start a fresh topic mods, let me know :-)

• Like 1

Valve stem seals are a common oil burner. I can do head gaskets on these in my sleep, they are soooooo easy to do. Make sure you get new water pump, timing belt, dizzy belt and head bolts... Replace the stem seals when you have had the head skimmed. Should be as good as new after...if not, rings are shot ;)

Got the head off this afternoon. Looks like the stem seals have been leaking for a while null-10.jpgnull-8.jpgnull-15.jpg I've just started a project thread so will update on there from now on! Best get my membership paid for! Seems like a good helpful forum so far! Thanks everyone.

ben I see your head lights are different I have the passenger as I bought others for mine very same car but mine is on a c plate same colour if you need it
Hi, I've got both types. I was trying to both to see which I preferred. For some reason photo bucket has mixed up all my photos big time. Thanks though Ben.
  • Like 1