Axle & Lsd Help Needed

Ems

I've got a GTE axle, it's been fitted with new bearings, new 3.89 cwp and a ZF lsd that I removed from my old car.

The problem I've got is the crown wheel will not turn, even without tightening the bearing caps for the crown wheel. When the crown wheel is removed the pinion turns freely.

The person building the axle believes that the crown wheel and pinion are not a matching set - the supplier disagrees!

The lsd was previously fitted in a 1.8 axle with a 3.89 cwp with no problems, but that axle and cwp have been sold.

Are there any internal differences between the 1.8 and GTE axles?

If I have to remove the new crown wheel and pinion (looks likely), will the lsd fit ok with a 3.67 cwp?

Is there a way of getting the new bearing off the pinion without damaging it?

Thanks

Ems

Hello Ems

What CWP and pinion do you have?

You can get 2 LSDs for the Manta axle as there is a different offset (4mm difference) to suit the different thicknesses of CWP.

Option 1

Fitted to:

Opel Kadett B (Fg.Nr 2298262), Olympia A, GT 19S with CWP 3.44 / 3.18
Opel Kadett C GT/E 19E, 20E with CWP 3.44
Opel Ascona / Manta A 19S, 19E, Ascona / Manta B 19S, 19E, 20S, 20E with 3.18 / 3.44.

Option 2

Fitted to:

Opel Kadett B (Fg.Nr 2298263), Olympia A, 17S, 19S with CWP 3.67 / 3.89
Opel Kadett C 16S, 19E, 20E, 20EH with CWP 3.67 / 3.89 / 4.2 / 4.75
Opel Ascona / Manta A 16S, 19S, 19E, Ascona Voyage 16, 16S with CWP 3.67 / 3.89
Opel Ascona / Manta B 13S, 16S, 19, 20 with 3.67 / 3.70 / 4.30.
Opel Rekord C / D / E & Commodore C with CWP 3.67 / 3.79 / 3.89 / 4.22.

Regards

Tim

As you can see from above, if it is a 3.89 then yes it should also fit the 3.67. Just count the number of teeth on the crownwheel and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion. This will confirm the ratio.

Regards

Tim

I thought the pinion had to be set to the crown wheel on installation? they have a crushable washer and i think you can shim the pinion to get the correct height so it meshes with the crown wheel properly? Was the pinion in there already or did that come out of the diff with the crown wheel?

I have an opel workshop manual for an A series that has lots of info on the diff setup so could scan a few pages if that helps?

Andy

Its not the pinion you shim up and down but the diff/crownwheel that is shimmed side to side.

The pinion and crush washer is set to the correct pre-load on the bearings.

Then the diff/crownwheel is shimmed side to side until the gears mesh correctly and the appropriate amount of back lash is achieved along with the correct side play on the bearings.

As the pinion bearings are new the pinion might not be as far down into the axle as the old one was and if the shims haven't been redone the it would lock up.

Alternatively the crown wheel and pinion might not match

Oh and yes a 3.7 will fit if a 3.9 was fitted before

Thanks for the help, if I have to take the new pinion out again is there a way of getting the bearing out without damage as the gap behind the pinion gear is very small. Also will I need another crush washer.

you need to shim it up ,all cwp will need to be done if changing the ratio , all cwp pinions are a match pair and numbers on them should be the same you cant swap crown wheels etc , and getting the bearing off without damage is a task itself , take it to the profesionals let them do it they have the tools for doing it , i did my one and 5 years later bang it went it was to tight so got a new cwp from germany and the charged 200 for shiming it and new bearings , money well spent thats 2 years of racing at is still good , bad design a think getting bearings off to shim it . hope this helps cheers jock