Manta B Big Brake Conversion Questions

TheMantaKeed

Hi, I've read all the posts on the big brake conversions and there seems to be some conflicting advice, so before I actually buy the parts listed below, can somebody confirm that everything will be a bolt on job? (I know the discs need to have the bolt holes re-drilled and the centre spigot hole enlarged)

Sierra XR4x4 260mm vented front discs.

MK3 Cavalier SRI front calipers (sliding type)

I know I could use Audi discs, but there is a good deal on Ebay for drilled and grooved XR4x4 discs- (£58 for a pair), Thanks in advance, Nick.

Don't think xr4x4 discs are quite right, from memory the offset of the disc isn't 56.1mm like the manta

So the braking surface will be out of line in the caliper/carrier and could even touch the side of the carrier depending how far off that they are.

Sierra's ran several different disc offsets/heights on different versions.

The Rwd sierra Cosworth has the right offset, but that has 283mm discs so you need larger calipers and wheels, but don't think any of the others did

Also as Simon P says there are more posts in the members section on brakes, and a lot of other useful things B)

audi discs and 16v calipers it is then ;).

I know I can go this route, but the XR4x4 discs are that liitle bit bigger than the Audi ones and very reasonably for drilled and grooved discs . I found this information on a previous post made by :- '399Road' (Luke) here is the original thread:- http://forums.mantaclub.org/topic/27986-top-mods-for-manta-b/?hl=%2Bbrake+%2Bconversion and his post below :-" Hello Mark,

If I had an 87 Exclusive, I'd say the first modification would be to uprate the front brakes. My 87 GTE coupe ran 260mm Sierra xr4x4 front discs( redrilled to fit ) with mk3 Cavalier SRI brake calipers. This transformed the cars pathetic standard braking and still fitted under the 14" wheels." I have contacted Luke, but have no reply yet.. Has anybody else gone this route instead of the Audi discs ? Thanks, Nick.

Edited by TheMantaKeed

Audi discs are 256mm so loosing 4mm is not that bad a deal. Lopk for audi discs on ebay mtec do grooved drilled discs for good price. Recon calipers for 16v are £45 EACH at brakes international. Ferodo ds11pads and job done.

Audi discs are 256mm so loosing 4mm is not that bad a deal. Lopk for audi discs on ebay mtec do grooved drilled discs for good price. Recon calipers for 16v are £45 EACH at brakes international. Ferodo ds11pads and job done.

Is the 16v calipers a 52 mm or 54mm piston ?, both options are listed on brake internationals website, Thanks, Nick.

Think that is calipers only from brakes int (you need carriers as well) and there is a surcharge if you don't have old ones to exchange.

Also re the xr4x4 discs being bigger, they are but the caliper will sit in the same position no matter the disc so they actually won't be any better.

I bought my Ally VW callipers brand new with pads from Compbrake £120 and I'm sure that was for the pair but you would have to get in contact with them to be sure. http://www.compbrake.com/brake-calipers/rear-caliper-with-built-in-handbrake-comp-r2.html

audi 80 2.3 have same disc off set but 282mm IIRC. but using the Vectra v6 (5 stud) callipers puts the flexi hose very close to springs when turning. using goodridge hoses (home made kit) and a different angled fitting can get away with this. my MOT man did not like the closeness of hose to spring so I also welded an extra 13mm steel block onto bottom arm to cut down lock to lock.

audi 80 2.3 have same disc off set but 282mm IIRC. but using the Vectra v6 (5 stud) callipers puts the flexi hose very close to springs when turning. using goodridge hoses (home made kit) and a different angled fitting can get away with this. my MOT man did not like the closeness of hose to spring so I also welded an extra 13mm steel block onto bottom arm to cut down lock to lock.

Hi Rutts, Did you manage to get the measurement of the calipers, 52mm or 54mm? I also bought the Audi 80 discs, got a good deal for a pair of drilled and grooved vented for £40 for the pair, brand new. Nick.