A Question On A Manta I May View - Are They For Tall Folk ?

NEIL W

I am on a quest for a new toy - selling a TR7 Convertible & a Opel Manta ticks the boxes having had a mk1 Cavalier in the 80's.

Being 6ft 3" is the sunroof on a 1982 Manta a problem - i.e. will I fit in, as all cars I have ever had - had to be sunroof less due to the headroom.

The car is a long drive to view & a bit of a waste of the seller's time if I just sit in it & then leave as the barnet hits the headlining.

Also do the sunroofs have a blind & are they rust prone due to the drainage ?

Thanks for any advice.

Neil

Shouldn't be a problem, the owner of the car i'm working on at the moment is a tall guy and doesn't have a problem. To be honest i'd advise looking for a car without a sunroof as the roof panels tend to rot quite badly.

If you have a look in the parts wanted section you'll see lots of people wanting non sunroof skins and they change hands for a far bit.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Since the sun roofs are prone to rot - I take it the aperture that rusts - so any bubbles will be a sure sign of problems ahead.

Something to look at or go for a Centaur :P

There is a low mileage Manta in NI which looks good in the photo but has a sun roof too.

Neil

If it's the X plated Coupe you're looking at look very carefully at the roof as a previous owner reckoned it was showing very early signs of rust. They rust from the inside out as you may know so a bit of rippllng in front of the sunroof or some microblisters could mean bad news.

The factory sun roof is a sliding steel one, if you find a car with a glass sunroof that may well not have the same rust issues.

Edited by 1900SR

If its the £8495 Manta your looking at then i looked at this car around 6 years ago when it was on sale in a classic car dealership in Bristol, it was in genuine time warp condition but it did have a parking scrape down one side.

IMHO it's worth £3000 less than the asking price.

I reckon if it was put on Flea bay now it would reach £4500 tops.

Yes it is the same car & am waiting for some photos which should give better details of the drivers side.

Know the price it was for sale at Cleevewoods so an increased now a fair bit now - Dent Master can do wonders with parking scraps so will see how it looks.

it passed to another owner in NI since then & has been on sale for a year plus.

Agree with your valuation but as with any advert it can always comes down but maybe too high a drop.

I have my car for sale if anyone fancies a change with 60 odd photos & a You tube clip :D

http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19792

I have spoke to one of the last owners who kindly gave me his phone number to call him which I have done.

Decided to sit on the fence for now, as the more info I get the more there are negatives but still a very very nice car.

I wish to thank all the people who have relied to my post & for all the pointers. :)