New Opel Manta Project (Hopefully)

h0tr0dder_uk

looks sweet mate, my rails were about that good too but i cut them out and tossed them along with all stock drivetrain and suspension, wish i had kept some of it now as i would probably put stock front stuff back in! had nowhere to keep it all though and the miata  drivetrain too, yours is way cleaner though and is a great start, just dont do what you did to the other minter you had!

• 4 weeks later...

dont see many that clean anymore for sure!  pete, looking at the rear the bumpers on euro cars sit about 3" higher than those brackets,  might have to get creative on the mounts, hopefully the holes in valance wont be noticeable below a eurobumper, i will have same issue too, 

Yeah.  I think the car will eventually need to be painted anyway.  It looks great in the pics but there are lots of little dings and scuffs where its gone down to bare metal, so I'm gonna weld up those holes, plus a few trim holes etc.  I think we will have to cut the top of the chassis rail out in the boot in order to cut out the rear bumper mounts, then weld it back up.  Front ones will be a bitch to get to too.

fronts are a bitch, but i was removing rails so not so bad, you could leave all the structure there and weld new mounts off the side or below and bend brackets up, the euro turn signal mount is still shaped into the valance which will help giude where you need to be, if you are going to paint it can you fill in side markers? not sure what cali laws are like!  where are you getting spoiler from?

I've only ever heard of one Manta B over here and that was imported from Germany a few years ago.  So it probably wouldn't be as rust free as you'd like.  I've seen Asconas (early ones), Commodores and lots of GT's.  If I find a B series I'll probably buy it for myself lol.  There are also a few SC Bitters which have to 400 rims on them.

one manta b in the hole of the usa... :o really....

They were probably never exported here due to emissions / crash testing etc.  However since Opel Mantas are now over 25 years old they can probably be imported without those restrictions.  Shame as we could do with a few rust free B series Mantas

With the one you have mentioned here that makes two and half Manta B's in the USA ! ( the half is a body shell ! )

Our former Magazine editors Jo and Nick Webb in California are the owners, there is a blog about the Manta's but it has been been updated since 2010, here's the link -

http://californiacolumn.blogspot.co.uk/

I have not seen the Webbs on here for a while, the user name is calcol.

• 10 months later...

I used your servo and they work ok now mate, thanks.

I wanted to fit Torq Thrust style wheels to this project but the more cars I see here that have them fitted the more I want to fit something different (Like ATS Classics in 15").  Plus getting the offset I want is proving to be a bitch!

• 3 weeks later...