C20Xe Oil Pressure

Ems

I connected the dash for the first time today and the oil pressure at idle is 5+.  The pump was stripped, checked and uprated during the rebuild with a SBD nylon relief valve also fitted.

Is the valve likely to be stuck or do I need to remove some washers?

Thanks

Did you add all the washers in the kit front and back of spring

Fitted this kit as I was having same problem with new standard oil pump now with kit fitted have 60-80 on start up a 25 on idle 50 whilst driving

Standard xe oil pressure is 20 on idle and 50-60 on start up

Believe you can add more washers have hear of people getting 100 oil pressure which will cause more problems sounds great but reality will not help

You will need to take plunger out and stick your finger up and make sure there are no burns in the opening your can emery the plunger down or the channel opening with 1200 wet and dry

Forget to mention you should retain 5 oil pressure on gauge pre start up as the pressure is made mainly from the gap between the shells and journals not necessary the oil itself strange but true engine need to retain some oil pressure to prevent damage on start up

Pump just gets it around in close system

If you have rwd not an easy job to reshell with engine out if washer or sticking plunger is not the cure

• Like 1

The engine has just been rebuilt with new bearings, arp bolts, etc.  The Manta B gauge reads in bar so 5 which is the maximum on the gauge is around 72psi, the pressure has to be higher as the needle flickers between 5 and the end of the gauge. 

I'll have to check if the valve is stuck, if not maybe I'll take out a washer

Looks like it was a loose connection, tightened the nut and oil pressure is 3.5 - 4 bar idle and 5 bar at higher revs.

Biggest worry now is a big oil leak at the front, it's coming from above the sump gasket, - all gaskets etc are new!

Edited by Ems

if the oil seal is new on the pump it shouldnt be that, id take the pully cover off and the rear cover and see if its lesking down ftom the cam cover behind the cam pulleys, if its the rear pump seal it should just nip up.. also check crank sensor. theses always leak snd its not too far from the pump.. ptfe tape this in.

good luck.. xes do like to leave a mark

I think the engine is in competition with my dog for marking its territory. 

Hopefully it's a case of just tightening some bolts, every gasket, etc on the engine is new. 

It is very easy to damage the front crank seal when installing it. I've done it. Doesn't half cause a leak.