Opel Manta GT/E 1984 for sale

jonayres

Hi guys, some of you may have seen the saga in "My everlasting GT/E hatch restoration" of this car over the last few years. It still needs a couple of things sorting out, the rear suspension is too high, the oil pressure gauge doesn't work but you'll see most of the expensive tricky stuff is all done. The rear spoiler has developed some small cracks but I still have a small amount of the paint used to spray the car left. It's got 80,000 miles on the clock, it's a local car and things like the steering wheel condition, seat bolster and quiet back axle lead me to believe this is likely to be accurate. It's had 4 previous owners (one of which was the builder who bought it when he demolished the garage it had been stored in. I'm also going to advertise it with a sign in the window locally. It drives very well, starts first time and is currently insured, taxed and MOT'd, the MOT runs out in March 2020.

I am in Poole, Dorset. I would like to get £6995 for this, having spent £15,000 on the restoration.

Please let me know if you'd like to view/drive it, my number is 07920 770670.

With glass and interior fitted with brand new window rubbers.JPG

There she is in Broadstone 5.JPG

AIR flow and inlet mnifold connected.JPG

Original dealer nummber plate.JPG

There she is in Broadstone 2.JPG

Final polish 7.JPG

New water pump, seals and GM oil filter fitted to egine.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you, it does look very good. I take it out once a fortnight to keep it running and then stick it back in the garage. I was planning to show it but I'd need to get the paint on the spoiler done and sort out the rear suspension for it to look credible and I just cannot bring myself to spend any more money on it. I thought it would be better to sell it now as it has just been completed. I've advertised it on the owners site first. As you can see, all the usual horror stories have been sorted out with this one.

• Like 1

Fair play. Still a shame to sell after all that effort. It shouldn't cost much to put right the issues you mention. 

The rear suspension doesn't look so bad in the photo on the ramp whereas it does look higher on the previous photo. All very strange. I seem to recall that the early GTE hatch's sat low at the back, but the later ones (say C reg onwards) seemed to sit a bit higher. I've no idea whether the springs were different or not. 

I think you may be right. I'm just looking at a picture of a couple of exclusives that I had and they look fractionally higher at the back. It's not just the new springs, it has had new shock absorbers and all new polyurethane bushes, which may play a part. Sadly. I'm not a mechanic or a paint sprayer. I'd guess that the painting of the spoiler, changing or modifying the rear springs and sorting out the oil pressure gauge will be £1000+?

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2019 at 20:34, jonayres said:

I think you may be right. I'm just looking at a picture of a couple of exclusives that I had and they look fractionally higher at the back. It's not just the new springs, it has had new shock absorbers and all new polyurethane bushes, which may play a part. Sadly. I'm not a mechanic or a paint sprayer. I'd guess that the painting of the spoiler, changing or modifying the rear springs and sorting out the oil pressure gauge will be £1000+?

Your car looks stunning in the pictures, my fair-condition daily '85 hatch was lowered at the back at some stage & although doesn't look particularly low compared to all the smart cars online, doesn't have much travel & isn't very comfortable - I'll be going for what the young guys call the 4x4 look with standard springs in the coming weeks, or months...

From the pictures you might want to think about enjoying a drive up to the VBOA and getting the car on the stand. I haven't been as I had other commitments that weekend but it would give you significant exposure for the car and may well be great fun too.

http://vboa.org.uk/events/49-national-rally-19

There was a call for more Mantas for the club's stand.

For the oil-pressure gauge, its worth checking that the plug in the engine bay is properly 'home.'

On mine the wires into the loom are blue & green with a yellow strip. The plug is simply holding spade connectors and is only about an inch clear of the loom at the back of the engine, it is right next to the wires that end in the round plug that goes through next to the fan.

In your 3rd picture that shows your engine bay before you'd finished, you can see the round plug is unplugged. Its difficult to be certain on your pic but its most likely that the 2 wires that disappear & reappear at either side of the back of your rocker-cover are the wires you're looking for. The other end is on a horrible to reach sender next to the exhaust manifold. I'd try pulling apart the plug at the rear of the engine by holding both parts of the plug's body, if you have a can of servisol or electrical switch cleaner available use that, in a push WD40 might do. Put it back together and pull it apart a couple of times then make sure that it is properly pushed together and try and see it it works before paying anyone else to look.

Ah, should've searched first - have a look at these threads 😣

Good morning, thank you for your help with this. You're using your '85 hatch daily? I've done just over 1200 miles in this one and I'm yet to come across another one on the road!

It looks like my manta is not the only one with an oil pressure gauge problem, this is the thirteenth one I've owned and I've not had this problem before - many others though! I'll go and have a look and see if I can find the wires you are talking about.

I won't be able to go the the VBOA this year, I'll be on holiday in Iceland. I did go a couple of years ago ( whilst this manta was being restored). It's definitely worth going to.

Yes, I'm using her daily but its more dropping off & collecting my youngest around town than enjoying B roads across the Downs. I try walk to work most days but take the Manta others. I've had a few silly things go wrong but done about 1700 miles since September. I had a fun moment just after leaving Retro-rides at Goodwood last month when I met a 400 coming the other way - we exchanged an enthusiastic wave but that's the only other one I've seen on the road. I have seen Roy's two over in Brighton but neither are on the road at the moment.

Thirteen - and you're considering selling?! this is my first Manta although my very first car was a '77 MK1 Cav saloon  😁

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
10 hours ago, Trooker said:

It was a great price last time, would have loved to have been in a position to buy then. Still a beaut but guess won’t be snapped up overnight.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/127876674424063/

Yes, I quite fancied that GTE hatch myself. It was well priced  at £6500 yet took a while to sell, and at £6000 if I recall correctly. Be interesting to see if it sells at £9500. I wonder if the various bits that needed doing to it are now done. 

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

Back up for sale again at £8K. Still looks really nice! 

I'd be quite surprised if it didn't still look so nice, it was properly rebuilt. You're going to have to go for it one of these days but maybe have to change your sig 😉 

Edited by Trooker
messed up placing my text :P

15 hours ago, Trooker said:

I'd be quite surprised if it didn't still look so nice, it was properly rebuilt. You're going to have to go for it one of these days but maybe have to change your sig 😉 

Fair point on both counts! 🙂  I doubt it will sell at £8K in the current climate.

Edited by Monaco Blue
  • Like 2