Front brake upgrade

Jessopia74

Mk3 gsi cav or astra, mk3, bolt on, no probs!  These work with 2.2 carlton vented discs, no mods needed.

There is a 4mm overhang on pads, but they will never come together due to thickness of disc, eiither that or you will be down to wafer thin metal on pads and disc would be eaten to shit,  this is a quick turnaround setup, just bleeding needed. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Evo, I read the threads about callipers. think I used Volvo callipers years ago with a spacer I bought to use rather Vented discs.

but thought someone might have a pair of callers in better condition kicking about they would like to sell. And not actually that many on eBay.🤔

Edited by Jessopia74

Actually I might have some. Seems the Saab 9-3 1998 donor I have is 288mm front Vectra B callipers. 

Lots of capliers are the same, seems it’s the brackets that differ to make the spacing. However I would still like some bolt on Astra/cavalier callipers to make use of the 246mm vented discs.

The 288 calipers are too large for the front of the manta. The body of the caliper hits the spring on full lock...... You can use the 284mm caliper from a NG900 saab if its a 1994-96 model (1996-1998 changerd to 288mm calipers) but thats the only one i know of that works on the manta. Not sure any saab had the small 256mm calipers fitted when they were sharing parts with vauxhall

Also the 284's require 15" wheels at least for clearance, the caliper requires 284mm discs for which you can use the 2wd sierra cosworth disc (with mods)

The Audi discs astra/cavalier calipers fit under the original 14" wheels and are very popular as an upgrade. I normally have the discs available already modified, but am currently out of stock. Don't think i have any calipers currently but i will check at the unit later

Thanks David,

much appreciated. I have 17" rims, so plenty of room. I do need to change the front brakes for MOT on the Silver Coupe as they are seized and discs are too far gone. I am not adverse to modding some discs, just wanted to follow the KISS approach. 

When are you likely to get some more discs back in stock? Obviously its the calipers (or rather the brackets ) that are proving to be a challenge at this moment in time.Get calipers- then get discs to match :) 

So - Still looking for some calipers please

I have discs on order then need to get my engineer to modify them for me, so probably a couple of weeks from now i will have stock again.

I've never managed to find a supplier of the carriers, you can get a lot of them from germany through ebay (like mk4 astra rears that i use at the rear end)  but i haven't found the mk2 astra fronts yet.

One of my customers has a full 284mm setup discs and calipers all ready to bolt on for sale, i removed them from his car to go to the 256mm setup so it could return to 14" wheels.

• 5 weeks later...
On 17/09/2019 at 19:05, ®evo03 said:

Mk3 gsi cav or astra, mk3, bolt on, no probs!  These work with 2.2 carlton vented discs, no mods needed.

There is a 4mm overhang on pads, but they will never come together due to thickness of disc, eiither that or you will be down to wafer thin metal on pads and disc would be eaten to shit,  this is a quick turnaround setup, just bleeding needed. 

Help, ive just finished rebuilding my 1979 manta which will have its roverv8 put back in. HENCE looking at the brake upgrade,can you please let me know if the carlton vented discs are 246mm or 258mm and the car shop near me wont order any calipers without knowing which exact ones to order.

any help would be grateful.

thanks wayne

Hi mate, feel your pain.

the Carlton disc is 246mm same diameter as the std Mayan disc, hence why you need the (very rare) Carlton Caliper.

I have just gone the Audi 80mm disc route, however the callipers are not as easy to track down as they used to be. 

With that said, I after much looking at the brembo catalogs, I suspect the Vectra A 4stud wheel cars also use the same Caliper,  but I can’t confirm this as yet!

what I can say for sure is the SAAB callipers from the 9-3 donor do bolt right onto the the stub axle, but they need a 280(plus a bit)mm disc that has had its centre bore made bigger on a lathe. But the callipers can bind on spring and there is a better Caliper choice for this disc.

The discs that would work are Sierra Cosworth discs.( message Shaun400r has he did have a kit for sale based on this setup).

However, there is also another mod that uses Volvo 4pot callipers and modded Honda prelude discs. http://d-petrakis.com/volvo240/

If all this is way too much, you can get a  Wilwood kit for Carlton 246mm discs (Inc discs) for around £480.

https://www.motorsport-tools.com/wilwood-vauxhall-chevette-manta-brake-kit-dynalite-4-pot-calipers-246mm-disc.html

Edited by Jessopia74