GTE Auto....??

DaveyC

Hi there All.... Well I know this is a big ask, but am looking for an Auto GTE, to scratch a VERY long standing itch. Unicorns aside, if any one would like to part with one, or knows where one of these Unicorns may be hiding/sleeping and could point me in ANY direction i would be very much appreciate. Why the Auto, well im a permanent wheelchair user and can only drive auto's. Ive seen in other posts that perhaps these mythical beasts are out there and do indeed exist but the ONLY one i saw at all, was on Car&Classic about 4 years ago in Ireland, and missed it while i was sorting out life's crap. im guessing im not gonna be getting much choice on budget but as long as its straight, so am I. As an Ex Engineer id love to build one, but my spannering days are pretty much done, and i never got round to learning how to welding, so turn key would be preferred, although a project would definitely be considered. Talking of projects the another option would be to convert a Manual to Auto and that's fine to, as im sure you'd all know how to walk (ha ha) or talk me through the what's, where's and how's. As any work would have to be outsourced, option 3 would be to have one built, could anyone suggest/recommend a Manta buff that would, or does take on such things so i could investigate.... Many Thanks... Dave...

Hi dave, many as you would expect have gone the other way auto to manual, this is and could be an advantage to you as the auto box's and associated parts usually end up being offered for free. 

Many years ago I picked up a box and all the components for a mere £50. 

As an auto manta gte owner myself, I'm a fan. I also own 2 cavalier mk1 autos. It's just how it worked out when I bought them   

They perform well and will definitely do what you want one to do. 

I'm sure someone will offer you the stuff to get one converted, easy enough obviously box change, the prop ect and the tunnel has a square hole for the selector instead of a round one for gearlever.. Again a bit of fettling can get this done. Also either a separate oil cooler for the trans or a rad from an auto. 

Hi Dave

Don't know if you saw my reply in your other thread ref converting a manual to auto.

I know of a good auto GTE hatch that will be coming up for sale in the Bristol area, it is currently being restored and will be completed to a good standard.

As Bristol is not a million miles from you in South Wales it could meet your needs.

The current owner is a Manta enthusiast (stradacab) who has restored Mantas in the past to a high standard & would be happy for you to view the car as it currently is.

It depends what your budget is & whether you want a Hatch or Coupe, Coupes can fetch around 50% more than the equivalent Hatch which makes the Hatch version a very cost effective way into Manta ownership.

My Manta B SR & Manta A SR are both autos & are very nice to drive & only a 5 speed Manta manual box is an improvement for high speed cruising. 

• Like 1

Hey Paul... Think you right about most going other way, guess I should put shout out for Manta Auto box and see what's laying around... Also, sounds like You got WAY to many Griffin's to me and think maybe its about time you thought of at the very least move that GTE on.... I know Just the guy who might be up for that.... LMAO.... 

Just wanted to get some better insider info on whether a red top would take an auto, and whether it Has Actually been done. Guess I'm breaking ground with this one, special circumstances and all, was hoping later engines hadn't got to clever ECU's that need to talk to gearbox's to work, and blocks and bellhousings were a fit....

Rapierdave.... Hi there.... South Wales rep eh, cool and very handy. Do you guys have meets, if so when and where. I went to show on front at Weston and again at Helicopter Museum meet hoping to brain pick this year, should a gone to the one near Yate was it... Yes seen your other post, sorry if I'm everywhere on this one, hence the scatter gun,  but wanted to cast net as wide as poss.... Was really looking to replace my long lost Coupe, yes it would be wouldn't it, haven't worked out how to post my old pics but sure I'll get there... So yes a coupe be preferred..... Might have to re think though given limiting options eh.... 

• Like 1

Hi David

Shame its a coupe you want as my mates auto hatch could be a ready made answer for you, 

Auto coupes do occasionally come up for sale but they tend to be the earlier B1 models like my White Manta SR

We don't have regular meets as such but tend to meet up at shows & local meets through the spring/summer/autumn months.

Oh no Dave I'm not gonna discount the hatch, how soon is it looking to be finished... I'll definately like to have a look and or get 1st refusal if can, I'm in no rush either and a recommendation always good.... Many thanks and let me know as and when up for a look... 

I'll have a chat with James to see when its likely to be finished, i'm guessing early spring maybe sooner.

Its already had work completed including tank refurbished, nosecone repainted. Currently having various bits welded including the usual Manta rust spots of washer bottle tray, floor above front jacking point etc.

The car is no rust bucket though & looks to have had some rust treatment like Dinitrol when it was new.

It has had an LPG conversion in the past but that hasn't been tested but i've seen it running on petrol & the engine sounded quiet & wasn't smoky.

Here is pic from when James first bought it two years ago, you can see why the nosecone needed repainting 

5a18593377cf4_GoldManta_thumb_jpg_e6175ecc84ef46cc46d5d029474299a8.thumb.jpg.f0ddee3152969d3a0f2e22612dd1a7d3.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveyC said:

Hey Paul... Think you right about most going other way, guess I should put shout out for Manta Auto box and see what's laying around... Also, sounds like You got WAY to many Griffin's to me and think maybe its about time you thought of at the very least move that GTE on.... I know Just the guy who might be up for that.... LMAO.... 

Just wanted to get some better insider info on whether a red top would take an auto, and whether it Has Actually been done. Guess I'm breaking ground with this one, special circumstances and all, was hoping later engines hadn't got to clever ECU's that need to talk to gearbox's to work, and blocks and bellhousings were a fit....

Rapierdave.... Hi there.... South Wales rep eh, cool and very handy. Do you guys have meets, if so when and where. I went to show on front at Weston and again at Helicopter Museum meet hoping to brain pick this year, should a gone to the one near Yate was it... Yes seen your other post, sorry if I'm everywhere on this one, hence the scatter gun,  but wanted to cast net as wide as poss.... Was really looking to replace my long lost Coupe, yes it would be wouldn't it, haven't worked out how to post my old pics but sure I'll get there... So yes a coupe be preferred..... Might have to re think though given limiting options eh.... 

I did post on your other thread reference the Carlton B 2.0 litre RWD autobox should fit a redtop (XE) engine. I don't know what tunnel Mods that might be needed if any?

• Like 1