Fixed fan to viscous?

Sutty2006

If you really want viscous you will have to change the water pump to take the viscous coupling with the additional cost might be worth looking into electric unless you want the standard look

Not sure but the fan blades might be different as well  blades have a more aggressive pitch ?.

Edited by hoobby

Fan looks very different. I’ve got electric on my 16v operated by a switch on the dash and it’s fine but somewhere I’ve got a NOS 1800 viscous unit. Unsure if they are interchangeable but worth a look if I can find one. If the viscous water pump will fit then then I’ll fit one. Solid fans are crap lol

hi. the early viscous fan unit can be fitted straight onto your existing waterpump .it is a boss that fits in place of the plastic fan and then the viscous hub slides onto that and held with a left hand thread allen bolt.probably hard to find a boss now .varous early senators and monza,royale used them if you could find one.the fan is easier to get as a lot of cars in the 70's used a similar setup and the viscous units are still available albeit not cheap.they are just a basic viscous design thou,no variable speed at hotter temp just a basic slip.

the later units did use a different waterpump drive flange and the fan unit screws to it .they are temperature controlled and were found on various other vauxhalls such as carlton mk1 & 2,,senator etc,and no doubt other cars too(this waterpump is a direct replacement as a whole )

both my cavs have the standard fixed fan in place and never had any issues. the fan isnt too loud at high revs ( sounds nice anyway in my opinion!)and removing it once for a viscous type made no obvious differences power or economy wise albeit a slight reduction in noise.also as far as i can remember the radiator needs moving to the other mounting points too but thats only bottom bolt and two rubbers.

other way to go is electric but thats not for me !

Edited by cam.in.head
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

Fan looks very different. I’ve got electric on my 16v operated by a switch on the dash and it’s fine but somewhere I’ve got a NOS 1800 viscous unit. Unsure if they are interchangeable but worth a look if I can find one. If the viscous water pump will fit then then I’ll fit one. Solid fans are crap lol

Get a boss put into your rad and use thermal switch for it